Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Help! Applique fusible or freezer paper? see post5 for new image >

Help! Applique fusible or freezer paper? see post5 for new image

Help! Applique fusible or freezer paper? see post5 for new image

Old 10-25-2013, 04:44 AM
Reb

Default Help! Applique fusible or freezer paper? see post5 for new image

This pattern calls for fusible applique. I was happily changing that to freezer paper with hand sewing. Until I looked at pattern piece A. It is 1/4 of an inch wide. I'm wondering if it is even possible to use the freezer paper method or if this has to be fused. Also, if another option would be to make bias strips. The attachment shows the pattern. Thanks for your help with this.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]443075[/ATTACH]
Old 10-25-2013, 05:00 AM

I can't see the attachment, but I bet you could substitute. I have cut fusible to "window" it where it is only on the edges. If you are familiar with freezer paper, it's probably doable.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

Picture won't open for me either. Is it a long skinny 1/4 inch piece? If so a bias strip without freezer paper is probably the way to go. If it is a short 1/4 inch piece traditional needle turn appliqué may be necessary. Try it with a scant 1/8 turn under.
Can you mix fusible appliqué and freezer paper appliqué? Sure it is your project. You also may be able to draw in a small piece with fabric paint/markers or thread paint it in.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:08 AM

I would use bias bars and that would hide the parts that are usually turned under.
Sue
Old 10-25-2013, 07:27 AM
Reb

Default second try for attachment

I can't seem to upload. I've done it before without any problem. When I preview I can both open the attachment and see the pattern. I'm on a mac and can't seem to resize the scanned image.

The piece is curved like three wide u's.
Attached Thumbnails applique3.jpg  

Last edited by Reb; 10-25-2013 at 07:34 AM. Reason: mistake in attachment
Old 10-25-2013, 08:28 AM
Reb

Default Applique fusible or freezer paper? now corrected image

[ATTACH=CONFIG]443108[/ATTACH]Hopefully this upload will work. I never had this problem before.

This pattern calls for fusible applique. I was happily changing that to freezer paper with hand sewing. Until I looked at pattern piece A. It is 1/4 of an inch wide. I'm wondering if it is even possible to use the freezer paper method or if this has to be fused. Also, if another option would be to make bias strips. The attachment shows the pattern. Thanks for your help with this.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

It looks like the u shaped piece is part of the background behind the other pieces? I think I would cut a larger piece of the background colour fabric. Cut and prepare the freezer paper pieces for the pieces that go on top and hand stitch them to the background. Cut a slit in the background fabric and remove the freezer paper. You can now do a freezer paper template for the whole piece and appliqué it to the larger piece? When you have several appliqué pieces stacked on top of each other, you sometimes have to " window" the first pieces so you don't have a large build up of layers.

Old 10-25-2013, 08:46 AM
Power Poster

I looked for that online but only found her name connected with jewelry. the picture shows what I would think was a larger piece with others added on top. Can you type the directions for that piece? that might help us.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:26 PM

I would make section A (see the blue outline) a whole piece , you don't need to finish the dashed line it will be underneath the next piece. Then do the red and green sections and put them on top. This would be the easiest way IMHO[ATTACH=CONFIG]443158[/ATTACH]
Old 10-25-2013, 01:44 PM

I agree with Woody.