Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Friends don't let friends buy ugly fabric. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/friends-dont-let-friends-buy-ugly-fabric-t40710.html)

amma 03-26-2010 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by mamaw
A true friend will always give an honest answer, whether it be positive or negative. I always say if I don't like something; and agree to disagree.

This is how I feel too :D:D:D

MadQuilter 03-26-2010 01:05 PM

I have a friend who insists on wearing clothes that are neither age-appropriate, nor do they fit half the time. (She believes in the tighter is better concept.) When we go shopping and she tries on something that I wouldn't be caught dead in, I know by the way she presents (prances) how badly she wants it. Her "what do you think?" really doesn't matter because in her mind's eye she looks beautiful - despite the gigantic mirror in the dressing room that screams "my eyes! my eyes!"

In fabric selection, I may be more direct but I try very hard to qualify my statements. I have allowed myself to be talked out of or into fabric because of someone's personal taste. One person's ugly is another's Mona Lisa.

Oklahoma Suzie 03-26-2010 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by wvdek
Be honest.

yes be honest.

patricej 03-26-2010 01:54 PM

i'm far too often revoltingly free with my opinion, whether it's appropriate or not. sooooo, i have been known to tell friends that something they are about to buy is gag-a-maggot ugly.

i also make sure to tell them: if you like it, my opinion is irrelevant.

TanyaMas 03-26-2010 04:16 PM

im always too honest for my own good... but me telling my grandmother how hideous her choices were never changed her choices anyway.. If some1 likes a fabric, no1 elses opinion should change that. :D

but i like the idea of a group of friends hunting down the ugliest each can find and swap them around for a challenge between friends, sounds fun :D

raptureready 03-26-2010 05:45 PM

Whether it's fabric, a new hair style, an outfit, or anything else, my friends know that if they don't want my honest opinion DON'T ASK. I always answer honestly. I know that in the past there's been times when people have gotten their feelings hurt but then a few days later they'll ask for my opinion again. As one lady put it, "I'm asking you because I know you'll tell me the truth."

Mousie 03-26-2010 06:40 PM

ok, here is what I do. If asked if i like a fabric, I will say yes or no.
If asked if a fabric will work in something and shown a picture, i will think about it and then answer, considering the size of the print, the value of the color, etc.
Whether i think a fabric is ugly or not, really depends on what it will be used for.
I have seen stripes and polka dots in places i wouldn't use them, and some quilts wouldn't be the same without them.
But, however I say it, I do tell the truth. That is what they are asking for.
I have on occassion, laughingly asked a question and suggested that they "lie" to me, lie to me!" :wink:
(not about fabrics though. I always make up MY OWN mind about those). :mrgreen:

Tally Kathy 03-27-2010 04:49 AM

You can always hide ugly fabric in a quilt!

raptureready 03-27-2010 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Tally Kathy
You can always hide ugly fabric in a quilt!

This is so true. I've seen some pretty ugly fabric look beautiful in a quilt. I've also seen some pretty fabric look ugly in a quilt.

Karen's Kreations 03-27-2010 05:22 AM

I usually tell them what I think about the fabric - but in my experience it's like that old saying 'one man's trash is another man's treasure. It's all a matter of taste and what appeals to each of us is sometimes different.