Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Friends don't let friends buy ugly fabric. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/friends-dont-let-friends-buy-ugly-fabric-t40710.html)

wraez 03-27-2010 03:21 PM

Billie Lauder was a guest speaker at our guild meeting a few years back and she said she 'loved' ugly fabric and that sometimes it is essential to make a great quilt .... that she purposely looks for ugly fabric much to her mom's dismay (I think it was her mom...remember this was a few years ago)

So I guess it depends how it is used ...

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA

postal packin' mama 03-27-2010 03:26 PM

redrummy: Thanks for a good laugh: your comment about being honest when something is not at all your taste "...just in case they're thinking of make ME something" -- made me literally LOL! Good defense strategy cuz once they've made you something ugly, it's too late, especially when you then have to display it!
Still laughing...

kaykuilts 03-27-2010 03:33 PM

Our quilt guild recently had an ugly quilt project. We each gathered our ugliest material and or stuff we were tired of and put them in a lunch sized sack. At one of our meetings we each got a sack by the number method. As they came in, they got a number and then we picked a number and matched the sack. The idea was to take it home and we had about 6 months to make something with it. 4 weeks ago at our regular meeting we brought them back and auctioned them off. We had small quilts, purses, tote bags, table runners and done lady made a yo-yo doll. We raised almost $300. 00 for our guild. We had a blast doing it. It stretched our creative juices and made some really nice things. I forgot to add that you could add to your collection of uglies if you wished to. I personally put the ones that didn't really fit on the back. I'm sorry I was so long winded.

thismomquilts 03-27-2010 03:44 PM

I give my opinion, but then they do as they want - as it should be. I remember one quilt a friend made - we both sat there and picked out the 'ugly' fabrics!! :) The quilt was probably one of the most beautiful quilts I've ever seen...

AnnaF 03-27-2010 03:54 PM

I do one step better...when a friend of mine are shopping and she says she hates a fabric...I buy it and make her an apron and then she loves it!!!
Anne

Ramblinrose 03-27-2010 04:05 PM

Quilting fabric isn't something you buy like you'd buy clothing. Sometimes that hideous fabric combines with the rest of the fabrics just right to make a stunning quilt. The skill of the quilter is the key.

D'Marie 03-27-2010 04:55 PM

Personally I have a habit of telling it like I feel but then I have changed my mind when I've seen the fabric done in something nice.Course I always make it plain that that's just my opinion.I have been know to stick my foot in my mouth a few times, though. Well let's be honest maybe more than a few time.LOL

Jingle 03-27-2010 05:18 PM

I only shop with my oldest Daughter and we both have different taste. She doesn't ask me and I don't ask her.
It works very well for us. Like my Son always says 'opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one and they all stink'

Sheila Elaine 03-27-2010 05:32 PM

It's usu me asking my DGD her opinion if we shop for fabric. She is almost 18 & has very good taste as for as fabric & fashion. If I want to know what's in vogue, she's my source to go to. However, she has learned a few tricks when she hangs around me. It's funny to watch her when she comes over, she'll go through my stacks of projects I have going. If she puts her finger to her mouth I've done good.

pennyswings 03-27-2010 06:21 PM

I try to be honest. If I don't like something I tell them I don't like it. Sometimes it is not because the fabric is ugly but it is just not my taste.