Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Friends don't let friends buy ugly fabric. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/friends-dont-let-friends-buy-ugly-fabric-t40710.html)

pollyjvan9 03-28-2010 04:15 PM

It really depends on what we are shopping for. If for a specific project I voice my honest opinion regarding color, pattern size, etc. If we are just buying on spec ( don't really know what we are going to do with the fabric) I just say "It's Pretty". Sooner or later they will find a project for the fabric. I may not like it, but so what. I'm sure all my purchases aren't to my friends liking.

tooMuchFabric 03-28-2010 11:29 PM

Same with me. I have passed over some truly ugly prints, in my formative quilting years! - that I later went back and took another look at, because even though the thing itself was not splendid, yet it took on a real beauty when paired up with other fabrics. You know, as a blender or as a "homely sister" to the other fabrics, really bringing out the pattern of the quilt.

DebraK 03-28-2010 11:52 PM

I don't ask, I don't tell.

mom-6 03-29-2010 03:55 AM

My best friend and I frequently go shopping together and have somewhat similar taste, but like different colors best. Her all-time favorite is shocking lime green, a color I'm not particularly fond of. However she just gushes over it and I'll half-heartedly agree that yes it's lovely...and add, it's definitely your color!

GailG 03-29-2010 04:18 AM

Honestly, I think it all depends on what the quilter wants to do with the fabric. Once fabric is cut up, it takes on a whole new life. And when the right fabrics are combined with it, it can be very beautiful. Now to get back to the question -- if I'm asked for my opinion, I will give it, but will ask how it will be used. A real artist can work wonders. Some people just have a real knack for putting together.

joeyoz 03-29-2010 07:54 AM

My friends pretty much know what I like. Every once in a while they will show me something and I will just look at it and say eewwwww. I cant' help it. It just comes out. :oops: :oops:

SewExtremeSeams 03-29-2010 08:09 AM

My husband often shops with me for quilt fabric. He is red/green color blind. That means certain colors don't look good to him and I do care about his opinion. Even though he can't appreciate my favorite colors 'hot pink', 'fuschia', etc., he does see the blue in those colors. Depending on what else was mixed into the dyes were used for the fabric, some of them look really good to him. So, like your wife, I don't buy some fabrics that he says are ugly and I do buy some that look very appealing to me. That balances both of us.

The Happy Quilter 03-29-2010 10:49 AM

Sometimes a person likes a certain fabric for no apparent reason. I tell them if you must have that particular fabric buy it but don't use it in a quilt. Make something else with it.
I have a friend who was making a beautiful Anniversary quilt for her husband of 50 years and the main fabric was gold, burgundy and greens. She wanted to put in a bright orange and I told her it would ruin the beautiful quilt she was making. So she used it in another quilt which worked well.
I sat be honest especially with a friend.

penski 03-29-2010 05:23 PM

i am the kind of person that if i dont like something i will tell it like it is thats what friends are for !!!!

sawsan 03-29-2010 08:04 PM

I would say nice colors but not the pattern if it was 4 me
or i like it but peter to be cotton as i :mrgreen: