Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Friends don't let friends buy ugly fabric. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/friends-dont-let-friends-buy-ugly-fabric-t40710.html)

zz-pd 03-27-2010 08:20 PM

I would most likely tell them. Penny

dizzy 03-27-2010 08:26 PM

If there asking me i'm most likely the one who is going to be sewing it so i tell the truth how I feel an then if I have to do something with it atleast if it don't turn out the way they thought it would it they're falt not mine.Matter of a fact I have some that I was given that i'm turning into chanelle cause it will look better that way than used in squares.

garysgal 03-27-2010 09:43 PM

Or do you just say "Oh, that's lovely." and move on with pawing through the bolts?

I had to laugh at this! It makes it sound like we are all animals pawing thru the bolts looking for ???
If I am asked, I try to be honest because heaven knows, my friends are honest with me!!

4dogs 03-27-2010 11:04 PM

I just had this experience yesterday..a good friend ask if I would go with her to pick out fabric for a quilt for her sister. She wanted "blues" so that is what we looked at. I didnt like the FIRST piece that she just loved, but tried to sit other things beside that bolt that looked good with it..and wouldnt you know, she says "that is too dark" or "that is too light" or "that is too...whatever..." so I think its impossible to pick out the fabric for someone else! What one loves another really doesnt like at all. I bet this will be a pretty BLUE quilt when she is done!I wouldnt have bought any of that and I would not have put those colors together either..but what do I know????

mosaicthinking 03-28-2010 01:32 AM

Originally Posted by mem123
I bought a half yard of the ugliest fabric, black background with HUGE wild colorful flowers, put small pieces into my quilt and it was beautiful.

Any chance you can post a photo? I recently bought 3 yards of something that's also black and floral and I'm still wondering if I made a bad call.

tooMuchFabric 03-28-2010 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by redrummy
I tell them it isn't my taste, I want to be honest with the,just in case they were thinking of making me something.

Haha! I love that answer!

Once a freind asked me what yarns I would pick for an afghan for HER mother, and I picked an ethnic theme of colors for her mom's heritage.
Turns out it was for actually for me, and I disliked the color combinations for myself. The afghan was gorgeous but not to my taste.

So there is a place for honesty.

brwnntwn 03-28-2010 07:25 AM

Ikee p my mouth shut - because it is usually my sister who is HYPER critical of me!

joeyoz 03-28-2010 08:47 AM

I'm honest. I try to be tactful about it. If it's too hideous, it's hard not to keep the horror off of my face. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

wv 03-28-2010 09:46 AM

*Ugly* fabric can be beautiful in the right conditions. If someone asks me if I like something that I really don't I try and find the positive in it. A QB asked me about some fabric that I thought was terribly busy and ugly, I told her while I didn't care for the print especially I did like the shade of blue. Turns out when it was all stitched up she's brought in other fabrics to really bring out the blues, and I didn't even notice the print when it was all quilted.

FlamingoGal 03-28-2010 10:09 AM

Even an ugly child is beautiful in her mother's sight. I might say its "interesting", or "might be a challenge" to work with, or "Wow! that's really something!". We can't usually truly see thru another's eye to see what calls them to buy fabric that to us seems hideous. If the fabric's voice is loud enough they sure won't hear us.