Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frixion pen warning! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frixion-pen-warning-t191908.html)

tjradj 06-17-2012 06:40 PM

I love my Frixion pens. I did my own test on a white on white quilt. After I steamed the marks away, I washed it in the washing machine with regular detergent. Then I put the whole quilt in the freezer for a couple of hours. The marks did not come back. So, then the quilt went in the dryer.

penski 06-17-2012 07:22 PM

thank you for the info

kcferrel 06-17-2012 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5293061)
Stick the squares in the freezer, the marks will come back.

Getting it cold will cause the lines to appear as a white line, they will not come back in their original color. The ink remains will wash out of the fabric, multiple tests have been done,and the ink DOES wash out.

SandyQuilter 06-18-2012 05:55 AM

Please use all these disappearing pens with caution. Think of what they might do to your fabric in 50 or more years. I wouldn't use them on anything that I want to last a long time. A fine lead mechanical pencil works and won't alter/rot/reappear.
SandyQuilter

Momma_K 06-18-2012 06:08 AM

Well I've been thinking about doing some Redwork but now I think you have me convinced! Another thought, if you have central AC and not using a vent, try laying your work in a thin box (like a thin gift box) and laying it over the vent! I keep my potatoes cool in the kitchen like that! Keeps for ever!! Good luck!

Momma_K 06-18-2012 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by SandyQuilter (Post 5297674)
Please use all these disappearing pens with caution. Think of what they might do to your fabric in 50 or more years. I wouldn't use them on anything that I want to last a long time. A fine lead mechanical pencil works and won't alter/rot/reappear.
SandyQuilter

Sandy does have a point! Good thought!

mumzer 06-18-2012 08:35 AM

I have black and red and use all the time for cutting lines where any marks left end up on inside.

buddy'smom 06-18-2012 08:57 AM

I love these pens and use them all the time. Yes if you put them in the freezer the marks will return.

nstitches4u 06-18-2012 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg (Post 5294194)
And if you stuck it in the freezer they would have all shown back up again; That's the other side of the coin; they disappear with heat and come back with extreme cold

The marks do come back if you put the fabric in the freezer, but after you wash the item a couple of times the marks will not return. I love the Frixion pens.

w7sue 06-18-2012 12:48 PM

I haven't tried the one I purchased, but was thinking that I would probably use it the most when making HST's so it would not affect/effect (can never remember which one to use without the dictionary) the quilt - I would love to use it when doing applique, will have to try it on a block to see what happens before doing a lot of them.