Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frixion pen warning! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frixion-pen-warning-t191908.html)

talkn58 06-16-2012 07:28 AM

Frixion pen warning!

Have you tried the new Frixion pens from Pilot?? Naturally they were designed for something else.. but quilters figured out they are wonderful for marking quilts. I use them to mark my redwork project. They write beautifully on the fabric then you just steam out the lines when you are done.
They are great to use.
So here is my little warning.
I have all my latest redwork squares ready for a quick pick up project. I traveled to my sisters 2.5 hrs away the other day. When I pulled out my redwork to work on many of the lines were gone. So how does that happen you ask?
The hot summer car steamed away my lines. YIKES!!!
Thank goodness I only brought one of the squares with me. It will be a quick fix to re-do the lines but may have to travel with the redwork projects in the cooler!

Scissor Queen 06-16-2012 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by talkn58 (Post 5293048)
Have you tried the new Frixion pens from Pilot?? Naturally they were designed for something else.. but quilters figured out they are wonderful for marking quilts. I use them to mark my redwork project. They write beautifully on the fabric then you just steam out the lines when you are done.
They are great to use.
So here is my little warning.
I have all my latest redwork squares ready for a quick pick up project. I traveled to my sisters 2.5 hrs away the other day. When I pulled out my redwork to work on many of the lines were gone. So how does that happen you ask?
The hot summer car steamed away my lines. YIKES!!!
Thank goodness I only brought one of the squares with me. It will be a quick fix to re-do the lines but may have to travel with the redwork projects in the cooler!

Stick the squares in the freezer, the marks will come back.

kathyd 06-16-2012 07:46 AM

I agree with Scissor Queen. I read that somewhere out in cyber world just the other day. I also saw that the lines never completely go away and it is unsure if they can cause damage in the future to the fabric. I have 2 of these pens (blue and black) but haven't had the opportunity to use them yet.

QuiltnNan 06-16-2012 07:50 AM

freeze it was my first thought, too :thumbup:

mighty 06-16-2012 09:56 AM

Thanks good to know, I have a set of these pens!

117becca 06-16-2012 10:34 AM

freezer was my thought, too.....I wash the quilt when i'm finished - purposely left some of the lines there and they came out. Now, i will admit that i did not stick the quilt in the freezer to test it.

romanojg 06-16-2012 04:07 PM

And if you stuck it in the freezer they would have all shown back up again; That's the other side of the coin; they disappear with heat and come back with extreme cold

Rubesgirl 06-16-2012 06:02 PM

You can only freeze it once. I read that after you freeze it the one time, the marks will not come back if you wash it or apply heat (iron or dryer). I've been using the pens for several months and haven't had any problems with them.

Skittl1321 06-16-2012 06:31 PM

I like them for marking on white or light fabric, but have found they bleach out dark fabric. I just avoid them now, except to mark inside garments I'm sewing.

sewingforsanity 06-16-2012 07:09 PM

Love the frixon pens and have never had the problem of the lines not disappearing permanently when I wash my projects.