Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FriXion Pens (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frixion-pens-t227571.html)

KerryK 08-08-2013 10:15 PM

FriXion Pens

From what I've read, many of you use the FriXion pens to mark your quilt tops. I was going to try to buy some online, and gosh, there seem to be several kinds of FriXion pens. I want to make certain I get the right ones, the ones that erase with heat, before I buy, so any advice will be appreciated! Also, is there any color that does not come out as well? (My hindsight is 20/20 - foresight, not so much! Better be safe than sorry!) As always, thanks for your help!

117becca 08-09-2013 12:30 AM

i generally use the black one....i did use blue 'cuz i had it & no problems...but reds always scare me (just cuz ;) )

The one i use - w/ the eraser on it (but i never use the eraser..)

gale 08-09-2013 12:54 AM

some have said that even though the ink seemed to come off when they erased it, later on they could see a faint light mark on the fabric that would not come out. The ink does not actually come off when you erase it-since it says it comes back in the cold, that means something is still there on the fabric. I would be careful, personally. Lots of people use them though, and I've seen them at quilt shops.

Lee in Richmond 08-09-2013 03:43 AM

I love these pens, as I can get a sharp line to follow. I also make 'position notes' on blocks. I have had no problems with the navy blue and black pens, but the purple and red ones do leave a faint echo until they're washed. As far as finding the 'right' ones, these are advertised as erasable ink when used on paper.

bobbiesboutique 08-09-2013 03:49 AM

I have had an experience with the faint line that stayed on a border of a finished quilt so now when I use them I make sure that where I mark will be hidden in the seam or else I will use a chalk pencil or regular fine tip retractable pencil.

Buckeye Rose 08-09-2013 04:33 AM

The faint line that remains after ironing will fade with washing....after a couple washes it was gone.....I have only used the black.....if I am marking something that will be washed I prefer the washable markers as they are much cheaper (Crazyart at Walmart now $.50 for pack of 8 different colors) and they wash out great.....but always test whatever marking system you use on every fabric as you may find one marker that will not wash out.

Skittl1321 08-09-2013 04:46 AM

I have a multi-colored pack and I like them all! I also really like the highlighters when I am using a more delicate fabric- the ball point pens tear up organza, so a highlighter is better.

I have had no problem washing them out- the faint white line disappears.

Lee in Richmond 08-09-2013 04:55 AM

I have never seen a marker with a fine enough line. . .what am I missing?

mighty 08-09-2013 06:15 AM

I love them and have never had any problems. I have used all the colors.

QuiltE 08-09-2013 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond (Post 6224104)
I have never seen a marker with a fine enough line. . .what am I missing?

That's one of the joys of Frixions ... the fine line ability!