Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: FriXion Pens

Blog Entries

FriXion Pens

From what I've read, many of you use the FriXion pens to mark your quilt tops. I was going to try to buy some online, and gosh, there seem to be several kinds of FriXion pens. I want to make certain I get the right ones, the ones that erase with heat, before I buy, so any advice will be appreciated! Also, is there any color that does not come out as well? (My hindsight is 20/20 - foresight, not so much! Better be safe than sorry!) As always, thanks for your help!
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

i generally use the black one....i did use blue 'cuz i had it & no problems...but reds always scare me (just cuz )

The one i use - w/ the eraser on it (but i never use the eraser..)
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

Blog Entries
    some have said that even though the ink seemed to come off when they erased it, later on they could see a faint light mark on the fabric that would not come out. The ink does not actually come off when you erase it-since it says it comes back in the cold, that means something is still there on the fabric. I would be careful, personally. Lots of people use them though, and I've seen them at quilt shops.

I love these pens, as I can get a sharp line to follow. I also make 'position notes' on blocks. I have had no problems with the navy blue and black pens, but the purple and red ones do leave a faint echo until they're washed. As far as finding the 'right' ones, these are advertised as erasable ink when used on paper.

I have had an experience with the faint line that stayed on a border of a finished quilt so now when I use them I make sure that where I mark will be hidden in the seam or else I will use a chalk pencil or regular fine tip retractable pencil.

The faint line that remains after ironing will fade with washing....after a couple washes it was gone.....I have only used the black.....if I am marking something that will be washed I prefer the washable markers as they are much cheaper (Crazyart at Walmart now $.50 for pack of 8 different colors) and they wash out great.....but always test whatever marking system you use on every fabric as you may find one marker that will not wash out.

I have a multi-colored pack and I like them all! I also really like the highlighters when I am using a more delicate fabric- the ball point pens tear up organza, so a highlighter is better.

I have had no problem washing them out- the faint white line disappears.

I have never seen a marker with a fine enough line. . .what am I missing?

I love them and have never had any problems. I have used all the colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
    That's one of the joys of Frixions ... the fine line ability!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Sew many ideas ... just sew little time!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

dd
    I only used them on the back so I didn't have to worry if the lines came back. I use the washable markers on the front and have never had a problem. Even with the one I let sit for a year.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Blog Entries
    i tested my pen by marking on 2 pcs of scrap i ironed 1 off and washed other off than ironed put both in freezer. the 1 I washed didn't come back
    esther

Quote Originally Posted by Lee in Richmond View Post
    Might depend what you are marking for. For me, when using the highlighters- I either use them to mark a space, and thus use the inside of the line or if I'm marking my quilting (rare) I then position it to sew in the middle of the line. So thickness of the marker is irrelevant.

But the ball point pens that I use on cotton are thin. Much thinner than the chalk I typically use.

Blog Entries
    i tested my pen by marking on 2 pcs of scrap i ironed 1 off and washed other off than ironed put both in freezer. the 1 I washed didn't come back. so the answer is dont iron your blocks until you've rinsed block just under running water
    esther

Blog Entries
    As always, y'all are so helpful! Thank you!
    Kerry
    ~ American by birth, Southern by the grace of God ~

Quote Originally Posted by haylillan View Post
    i tested my pen by marking on 2 pcs of scrap i ironed 1 off and washed other off than ironed put both in freezer. the 1 I washed didn't come back. so the answer is dont iron your blocks until you've rinsed block just under running water
    That's weird- I've always ironed mine off, and then washed them and the lines never come back. No need to wash first then iron, I don't think.

(And why are people putting their quilts in the freezer! It's really unlikely situation that your quilt will be so cold. Although- the one that sits in the back of my car in the winter in probably gets colder than the freezer, but the lines have never re-appeared.)

Blog Entries
    The ink washes out. The ink is non toxic and archival. I use them a lot.
    Got fabric?

Sorry folks, I just want to make sure I understand, so you are saying that the Frixion pens are good to use? I got some at a quilt show and have been afraid after reading some posts elsewhere on the board. And for those that say they use washable markers (WalMart), what is the brand? Thanks for your patience, I'm having a brain drain.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by haylillan View Post
    That alone is a good reason for me not to use them. I prefer to press my seams as I go and I certainly don't want to rinse every block and wait for it to dry (plus I don't always prewash and don't want partial shrinking). Even if I used it for quilting only, I always press my binding out before folding it over so that would be too much trouble for me to avoid pressing on marks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
    (And why are people putting their quilts in the freezer! It's really unlikely situation that your quilt will be so cold.
    My point when I talk about why I don't use these pens is NOT that I'm going to be putting them in the freezer. It's that there is obviously some sort of substance still in the fabric if the lines come back at a certain temperature!

I found these pens several years ago at a show, and did research on them back then. Pilot manufacturers them, so I contacted their customer service and at that time, they were NOT made with archival ink. So I made the decision to stick with products that are specifically made for marking - and disappearing from - fabrics. I think the Frixxion pens were a happy accident for Pilot, and now that they see a secondary use for them, they're happy to market them to quilters.

Quote Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
    My point when I talk about why I don't use these pens is NOT that I'm going to be putting them in the freezer. It's that there is obviously some sort of substance still in the fabric if the lines come back at a certain temperature!
    But they don't if you wash them. Once you wash with detergent, the lines are permanently gone; at least in every case I've used them.

Whether or not archival is important to people is up to them. No, they are not archival quality, and Pilot doesn't say they are. That said- I know a number of well-sold art quilters who use SHARPIES on their quilts (non-removable, obviously). Me personally, it will be a happy accident if my quilt makes it to 50-100 years old, so I don't worry about the archival quality, especially since I wash it out.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    There are plenty of places where the temps get to freezing and I'm sure I'd have a quilt with me. It would be interesting to see the marking lines reappear as the quilt gets colder. But I have also done tests and after ironing and washing, the lines did not come back. Would I use them on an heirloom project? Most likely not - but on utility quilts, they should work just fine.

Blog Entries
    http://www.thimblelady.com/iron-off-markers-2/ These are the ones I use and love them. The marks have always completely removed with the iron. I have used red/purple/black and no problem.
    Evelyn

Just a little side information here. After quilting a full size that had been marked with frixion pens I washed it in cold water. The marks did not come out. The water temp reacted just as a freezer would I suppose. When I put it in the dryer they were gone. Next one I will try warm water just to see what happens. Whatever the case I'm very happy with them and have never had a bad result. I iron the marks away when I use them for embroidery patterns.

Quote Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
    Sorry folks, I just want to make sure I understand, so you are saying that the Frixion pens are good to use? I got some at a quilt show and have been afraid after reading some posts elsewhere on the board. And for those that say they use washable markers (WalMart), what is the brand? Thanks for your patience, I'm having a brain drain.
    I use the CrazyArt brand.....found some at Walmart for 50 cents (pack of 8 I think)....Crayola washable works too....just be sure to test on all fabrics first.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast