Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
FriXion Pens >

FriXion Pens

FriXion Pens

Old 08-09-2013, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
My point when I talk about why I don't use these pens is NOT that I'm going to be putting them in the freezer. It's that there is obviously some sort of substance still in the fabric if the lines come back at a certain temperature!
But they don't if you wash them. Once you wash with detergent, the lines are permanently gone; at least in every case I've used them.

Whether or not archival is important to people is up to them. No, they are not archival quality, and Pilot doesn't say they are. That said- I know a number of well-sold art quilters who use SHARPIES on their quilts (non-removable, obviously). Me personally, it will be a happy accident if my quilt makes it to 50-100 years old, so I don't worry about the archival quality, especially since I wash it out.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:40 AM
Power Poster

There are plenty of places where the temps get to freezing and I'm sure I'd have a quilt with me. It would be interesting to see the marking lines reappear as the quilt gets colder. But I have also done tests and after ironing and washing, the lines did not come back. Would I use them on an heirloom project? Most likely not - but on utility quilts, they should work just fine.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:58 AM

http://www.thimblelady.com/iron-off-markers-2/ These are the ones I use and love them. The marks have always completely removed with the iron. I have used red/purple/black and no problem.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 PM

Just a little side information here. After quilting a full size that had been marked with frixion pens I washed it in cold water. The marks did not come out. The water temp reacted just as a freezer would I suppose. When I put it in the dryer they were gone. Next one I will try warm water just to see what happens. Whatever the case I'm very happy with them and have never had a bad result. I iron the marks away when I use them for embroidery patterns.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by michelleoc View Post
Sorry folks, I just want to make sure I understand, so you are saying that the Frixion pens are good to use? I got some at a quilt show and have been afraid after reading some posts elsewhere on the board. And for those that say they use washable markers (WalMart), what is the brand? Thanks for your patience, I'm having a brain drain.
I use the CrazyArt brand.....found some at Walmart for 50 cents (pack of 8 I think)....Crayola washable works too....just be sure to test on all fabrics first.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:36 AM

Originally Posted by evelyn5269 View Post
http://www.thimblelady.com/iron-off-markers-2/ These are the ones I use and love them. The marks have always completely removed with the iron. I have used red/purple/black and no problem.
Evelyn - those ARE the Frixion pens!!!!

I don't erase the marks because it can stretch my fabric. I always use an iron and the marks disappear. I like it when i'm marking a quilt and I decide to change my mind on whatever motif I "thought" might work.

I just mark the quilt, iron to erase the marks and then wash when I am finished. No problems - and i absolutely LOVE this...
Old 08-10-2013, 03:30 AM

I purchased mine at walmart. They are much less expensive than buying at the quilt shop. They are "pilot ball frixion" Funny thing is several years ago I had a temp employee that used them to do paperwork at our job. Then when I started quilting I saw them in a quilt shop. Nothing against buying things from quilt shops, but this time of year, you can get 3-4 in a package in the school supply area for a much cheaper price. I sometimes put them in my swap partners package for the monthly secret pal swap here on the board.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:43 AM

i found them at the teacher supply store last year. I had money to spend at the end of the year. I knew i was changing teaching assignments this year and didn't know what to buy - I bought frixion pens for me!!! Shhhh!!! don't tell the district!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by KerryK View Post
From what I've read, many of you use the FriXion pens to mark your quilt tops. I was going to try to buy some online, and gosh, there seem to be several kinds of FriXion pens. I want to make certain I get the right ones, the ones that erase with heat, before I buy, so any advice will be appreciated! Also, is there any color that does not come out as well? (My hindsight is 20/20 - foresight, not so much! Better be safe than sorry!) As always, thanks for your help!
I would advise to use with caution. There are some quilt notions dealer that have quit carrying the pens. I know some professionals who will not use them. Some who did use/carry them and now won't. It seems the marking reappear if the quilts get cold. I would rather err in the direction of caution. Who knows what these chemicals will do down the years?
Old 08-10-2013, 04:16 AM

I use Frixon pens all the time for marking and never had a problem. They iron out and then when I wash the quilt I figure any left over residue comes out. I even use them on parchment paper if I'm tracing a quilt pattern I'm going to sew over and tear away. That way if any ink comes off onto the fabric I know it will wash away. I always put Frixon pens on my Christmas list. It makes a good inexpensive gift for my kids to buy me. It works too because I always get Frixon pens for Christmas.