Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frozen Feed Dog Lever Brother PQ1500SL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frozen-feed-dog-lever-brother-pq1500sl-t310533.html)

dicueto 04-12-2020 05:41 AM

Frozen Feed Dog Lever Brother PQ1500SL

Happy Easter everyone! I hope this post find you all safe and healthy! My feed dog lever has frozen on my Brother PQ1500SL. I've only had the machine since December. It happened after I lowered the dogs for FMQ. I noticed a strange little noise, but since I hadn't FMQ in a while, I didn't question it for long. So then yesterday I went to move the dogs up to straight stitch, and the lever wouldn't budge. I eventually got them to the level just above FMQ. Now this is the strange part, If I raise the presser foot and then try to raise the dogs, I can do it, I have to apply more pressure, but I can do it, is also locks the presser foot in the up position. I don't know what happened. I've kept it oiled, and clean of debris. I have an appointment to bring it into a shop, but the problem is, the machine was purchased at Walmart as a gift, and I know shops are kind of weird if you didn't buy the machine from them especially if it's still under warranty. This shop, which is the only brother authorized shop in the area, doesn't sell the PQ1500 - They sell the Babylock Jane, which they tried to sell me back in November (oh boy!). If this is an easy fix, I'd rather just do it myself, but I'm leery of opening up the machine if it's not something I can do myself. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it yourself? Do you have any fix solutions? Thanks for any help you can give.☺

Onebyone 04-12-2020 05:59 AM

I have the Brother 1500 ps. There is a great Facebook group for this machine with a lot of info and how tos It's called Brother PQ1500s and Baby Lock Jane Sewing Machines. It's very easy to take the housing off my machine to see any problems. I wouldn't recommend ever taking the fly wheel apart. Very complicated to get back in place. My Brother 1500 is all mechanical so any sewing machine repair can fix it. Doesn't have to be Brother.

Rhonda K 04-12-2020 06:01 AM

Try turning the handwheel towards you. It should re-engage the feed dogs.

Check your manual as there may be settings you have to change to change between the two modes.

Peckish 04-12-2020 07:24 AM

Be careful of that FB group that Onebyone posted about. I'm also a member and twice in the last week, someone has posted incorrect information - the exact opposite of what the manual instructs. I would have reported the inaccurate info to the moderator, but she was the one who posted it! However, there is a service manual located in the files section, it will be very helpful to you if you do decide to tackle any repair yourself.

When two of my machines needed servicing, I asked around for recommendations from my fellow quilters and kept getting the same name back. He (Joe) is a retired guy who can't sit still, so he sharpens knives, scissors, and fixes sewing machines. He's very good, honest, and affordable. I took my Pfaff and my Brother SE270 to him. I'd already taken the SE270 to a dealer (to change the light bulb!) but the dealer told me it was a disposable machine and I should just buy a new one. For a new light bulb?? Well, when it's the dealer telling you that, how can you help but wonder if they're just trying to get you to buy a new machine. I used that machine several more years, and finally when the handwheel stopped turning, I took it to Joe and he tried, but couldn't fix it.
If your machine is out of warranty, maybe ask the quilters in your community if they know of someone like Joe.

dicueto 04-12-2020 12:16 PM

Thank you! I'll check it out this evening. I appreciate the info!

dicueto 04-12-2020 12:18 PM

Hi Rhonda, I've tried that, but this machine has four settings for the feed dogs. Unfortunately it didn't work😕

dicueto 04-12-2020 12:20 PM

Hi Peckish! I'll be sure to be careful while checking out the group. Thanks for the heads up:)

Gay 04-12-2020 05:33 PM

I will be following this post as the same has happened to my Brother 3000 sewing/embroidery machine. The mobile repair guy was supposed to fix this a few months ago but must have forgotten. Maybe servicing 3 machines at once for me was too much. He has to come out again, but don't know when he will make it. So if anyone knows of a 'fix' I will be very grateful. I just may look up the facebook group regarding a repair manual as I would love to see how to take the front cover off.

dicueto 04-13-2020 05:52 AM

Frozen Feed Dog Lever Brother PQ1500SL

Originally Posted by Onebyone (Post 8377050)
I have the Brother 1500 ps. There is a great Facebook group for this machine with a lot of info and how tos It's called Brother PQ1500s and Baby Lock Jane Sewing Machines. It's very easy to take the housing off my machine to see any problems. I wouldn't recommend ever taking the fly wheel apart. Very complicated to get back in place. My Brother 1500 is all mechanical so any sewing machine repair can fix it. Doesn't have to be Brother.

I really like that group, Onebyone. There are many good tips. Thanks for the recommendation😊

Gay 04-13-2020 05:51 PM

My repair guy just left, and showed me to wind the hand wheel back and forward while moving the feed-dog lever. Lo & behold, it worked. After doing it a few times I don't need to move the wheel. Maybe it needs constant use to stay useable. He says there are two finger shaped pieces that have to line up to work.