Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frugal or Extravagant? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frugal-extravagant-t196078.html)

roserips 07-30-2012 06:10 AM

I think that Gingher scissors are way over rated they are stiff and heavy with terrible balance to them. Fiskar makes a much better product and more affordable. The harbor freight blades were a waste of good money very dull couldn't cut a thing with them, and way to far to take them back, at least I only bought one package of them. Olfa makes the best rotary blades for the money and they really last provided you don't put nicks in them. Just my two cents worth.

laynak 07-30-2012 06:17 AM

I tend to go for quality -- especially when I discover the difference from 'economy'. Non-LQS fabrics can be see through, rough, flawed, etc. Thread can be linty, old (I do a snap test and find out if it breaks easily), and subject to tangling (I like Aurifil or King Tut as they save time and work so well in my machine or by hand). Sewing machine (first, a Kenmore) had limited conveniences and getting it serviced took a month at the Sears appliance shop with 2 return trips. My BabyLock replaced it and I've never had a problem (nor used the Kenmore since). I've used other rotary cutters but like the Olfa best. Cheap scissors are for paper only. Even a good seam ripper with an ergonomic design makes a difference. I'm a believer in 'you get what you pay for' and getting it right the first time will pay for itself in the long run.

QuiltE 07-30-2012 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by Neesie (Post 5405178)
I would pack just a few sets of clothes and keep washing them, over and over, in order to save suitcase space for fabric!

Better still, leave USA clothes in the USA. And buy your toiletries etc. on arrival, bringing only the absolute essentials with you.
Then you can travel light when inbound ........ and heavily weighted down with a new stash when returning!!!

coopah 07-30-2012 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by roserips (Post 5405210)
I think that Gingher scissors are way over rated they are stiff and heavy with terrible balance to them. Fiskar makes a much better product and more affordable. The harbor freight blades were a waste of good money very dull couldn't cut a thing with them, and way to far to take them back, at least I only bought one package of them. Olfa makes the best rotary blades for the money and they really last provided you don't put nicks in them. Just my two cents worth.

Gingher has a lightweight pair of scissors that are black plastic exterior. Extremely light and my favorite pair. Maybe your store didn't have that choice. Use these Gingher more than the four pair of Fiskar. Isn't it great that we have choices?

sandy l 07-30-2012 07:04 AM

[QUOTE=sweetana3;5403163]Right now I am waiting on a phone call from a gal that had a garage sale in the spring and called me to tell me she was having another. The great part is that she is a fabric representative for two companies and handles four states. She gets all kinds of fabric in precuts, packages of fat quarters, yardage, etc. and cannot use it all. She remembered me and wanted me to know. Hey, high end fabric at $3 per yard beats any shop around (except the wholesalers) and she has current stock. I got 60+ bright coordinated fat quarters for $36.
QUOTE]

Hey, Northern Ind. isn't that far from Central Ind., care to share the garage sale time:D

ellifour 07-30-2012 07:04 AM

I am both furgal and extravagant. I buy the best that I can, watch sales, I try different items some purchased by budget restraints, some of these have been great and some duds (don't buy again) some times cheaper items ending costing more

gollytwo 07-30-2012 07:15 AM

Originally Posted by sewmom (Post 5404999)
I like gadgets and things to make my quilting easier and quicker so i can make more! LOL . I rarely buy when not on sale. But I've got to say- I have totally, totally fallen in love with the Vintage Modern line from Moda! I have decided that even though it's not on sale at my LQS, i am going to get it! They have a punch card system. I looked on line but it's about the same price everywhere.

Try http://www.fabric.com - if they have it, their prices are always significantly less than elsewhere + free shipping on orders $35 and over.
Also try http://www.favoritefabrics.com a Board member who also has better prices.

JulieM 07-30-2012 07:19 AM

Lori, I love Peggy Toole also. Currently, I have almost enough Tuscan Wildflower to make a quilt. The fabric is just so gorgeous I do not know what to do with it. I really do not want to mess it up.

Julie M

Wunder-Mar 07-30-2012 07:28 AM

This is certainly an animated thread!!!! Here's how I think of my purchases: if what I pay is EXCEEDED by its duration, quality an service, then it's a frugal investment - tools, consumables (hand and machine needles, rotary blades, etc.) and fabric. If I have to spend more to make something work, then it's a waste of time, money and a bust all-around. Extravagant to me, in practice, is paying more for something I buy for someone else that I would not easily justify buying for myself.

I will buy quilting fabric from JoAnn's to make trial blocks/quilts/projects and such, but it has to have a certain minimal thread count. Some things are not meant to have along life (pot holders) or heavy usage, others can be justfiably "pretty-but-expendable."

Now, "CHEAP," that's a different animal altogether to me. I am cheap with scrubbing sponges - I will use one until it's at least have eroded from use.

karate lady 07-30-2012 07:35 AM

I would say 75% frugal ...25% extravagent......some things you just have spend a bit more for or they don't last.