Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frustrated (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frustrated-t202530.html)

EagarBeez 10-08-2012 06:25 AM

I use a mesh bag

catmcclure 10-08-2012 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by hikingquilter (Post 5567727)
Does anyone else have this problem? My washing machine takes any length of fabric (sheets too) and twists it into coil. I unwind before putting it into the dryer, but then the dryer does the same thing! Makes ironing those wrinkles out a real chore, even though I take it out slightly damp. Last night I pre-washed 5.5 yards for a quilt backing and spent a half hour ironing. I've tried in the past putting a heavy towel in the dryer with it but no luck. Grrrrrrrrrr

When I pre-wash, I don't dry the fabric in the dryer. I fold it to a reasonable length and clip it on a pants hanger. I can hang it up to dry and it'll be totally dry in a couple of hours. Saves on the ironing since the weight of the water will pull out some of the wrinkles. I do the same thing with fat quarters after they're washed.

I got in the habit when I lived in AZ - it only took about half an hour for everything to dry there and cut down on the utility bills.

AngelinaMaria 10-08-2012 07:18 AM

Same as Maviskw, my old top loader never did this. My expensive LG front loader does it all the time. I can not stand my new washer. I've had it 2 years and want to get rid of it so bad but just can't afford to do that.

2011wannaquilt 10-08-2012 07:30 AM

I hang mine on the garage clothes line, then just fluff in the dryer for 10 minutes.

Scakes 10-08-2012 07:37 AM

Sounds like my washer and dryer. I think I'll try putting the fabric in a pillowcase or mesh bag. As far as the dryer goes, I try to remember to check it about half way thru the cycle and straighten things out and then finish drying.

Sierra 10-08-2012 08:03 AM

Wow! What a lot of problems! I was never so happy as the day my top loader died! I have a wash sink in my laundry area and I put my fabric in a tub (use a lot of those pink hopital tubs) and fill it with totally hot water and leave it for a bit. If it runs, I know it, and in any case if it is going to shrink, it will. My new front loader has a "rinse and spin" 12 minute cycle and if the fabric doesn't need treatment for bleeding then it goes into that cycle and comes out in great shape and into the (old) dryer. I've never had problems; I do bring it out when "just" dry, or even needs to hang for a bit dry. I almost never iron new fabric, and when I do it's because it was stored wrong and got too crunched. I wonder what the difference is? My front loader was expensive, but I got California rebates that took off a lot of the extra cost because it is a water and energy saver.

karate lady 10-08-2012 08:25 AM

my wsher twists, but the dryer doesn't. so I just untwist before moving between machines.
And I always prewash...smile.

Debbie C 10-08-2012 08:52 AM

That's a brilliant idea! Thank you! I find the twisting problem is more-so with my new front loaders than with my old top loader machines.

Originally Posted by katier825 (Post 5568356)
the accordion fold method works great! fold in about 1-2 yard length and pin the selvedge edge every 6-8" or so.

Friday1961 10-08-2012 08:53 AM

Yes! My washing machine -- a great and reliable Maytag that I've had for years -- does this with sheets or any long fabric. But this twisting into a coil seems fairly recent to me so I'm puzzled about why.

wolph33 10-08-2012 09:36 AM

this is one of many reasons why I gave up prewashing 25 yrs ago-way too much time involved.