Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frustrated (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frustrated-t202530.html)

hikingquilter 10-07-2012 03:44 AM

Frustrated

Does anyone else have this problem? My washing machine takes any length of fabric (sheets too) and twists it into coil. I unwind before putting it into the dryer, but then the dryer does the same thing! Makes ironing those wrinkles out a real chore, even though I take it out slightly damp. Last night I pre-washed 5.5 yards for a quilt backing and spent a half hour ironing. I've tried in the past putting a heavy towel in the dryer with it but no luck. Grrrrrrrrrr

DebraK 10-07-2012 03:50 AM

I've read here, about folding the fabric accordion style and safety pinning at the top of the folds. maybe that will help. I don't prewash, so I don't know from experience. Or maybe a mesh wash bag would work?

crazythread 10-07-2012 06:06 AM

Frustrated

I solved this problem this way: putting my new yardage in a pillow case and tying a knot on the end so the material will stay in the pillow case. You are only washing the material to get out all of the sizing put into it during manufacturing so this works great

Originally Posted by hikingquilter (Post 5567727)
Does anyone else have this problem? My washing machine takes any length of fabric (sheets too) and twists it into coil. I unwind before putting it into the dryer, but then the dryer does the same thing! Makes ironing those wrinkles out a real chore, even though I take it out slightly damp. Last night I pre-washed 5.5 yards for a quilt backing and spent a half hour ironing. I've tried in the past putting a heavy towel in the dryer with it but no luck. Grrrrrrrrrr

romanojg 10-07-2012 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by crazythread (Post 5568107)
I solved this problem this way: putting my new yardage in a pillow case and tying a knot on the end so the material will stay in the pillow case. You are only washing the material to get out all of the sizing put into it during manufacturing so this works great

You can use this or a mesh laundry bag and it makes this problem go away. I've never had the problem in my dryer though but when I was alot of pants the legs all get wrapped around each other. I untangel them before the dryer and all is fine when they are dry.

Raggiemom 10-07-2012 06:22 AM

I was just thinking to try putting it in a pillowcase.

dunster 10-07-2012 07:09 AM

Some washers may be worse than others. Mine doesn't twist things too much as long as I use gentle cycle. For the dryer, I try to remember to check periodically and straighten things out. Really big pieces sometimes get draped over the bannister for drying.

hoppyfrog 10-07-2012 07:22 AM

This is the method I use on large pieces. Just make sure you pin as close to the edges as possible.

katier825 10-07-2012 07:51 AM

the accordion fold method works great! fold in about 1-2 yard length and pin the selvedge edge every 6-8" or so.

alwayslearning 10-07-2012 08:02 AM

I have pillow covers that zip. Thanks for the idea of the pillow case. Isn't it amazing what a washer and dryer can do to clothes, sheets, fabric?

teddysmom 10-07-2012 09:33 AM

My daughter has a washing machine that does NOT have the agitator in the middle. I use it when I'm washing new fabric and do it on gentle cycle. It works! Somehow the dryer doesn't twist it up that much.