Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Frustration (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/frustration-t35389.html)

Moonpi 01-29-2010 06:51 AM

You can still use camoflauge. Using what you have now, create wonky blocks. If the centers are not perfect, it will be lost because of the odd angles at the block edges.

sandpat 01-29-2010 06:56 AM

UGH!!!! I hate when that happens!!!!

Marcia 01-29-2010 07:03 AM

I feel your pain. We have all been there. I have a little bit of advice for you that MIGHT help.

-Stitch, press, measure, square up. Stitch, press, measure, square up.

I know that this sounds so basic and mundane, but it really does make a difference. I have found that if I measure my block after every seam and make sure that it is the size it should be, I have better end results. It takes longer---but it is worth the effort.

If your block consistently measures too small, then you can correct one of two ways---either make your 1/4" seams scant, or cut your fabric a little bit wider and then trim to size.

Some days the sewing machine gods just seem to be against us. I hope after you have had a chance to take a few deep breaths you will be able to go back in and make it all right.

beachlady 01-29-2010 09:14 AM

Most likely all of us have done that one time or another. I hate ripping out, but certainly have done my share!

Oklahoma Suzie 01-29-2010 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by skpkatydid
I have already had to rip out stitches and sew strips over and over. I think this might be one wallhanging that I put away for a while and return to it when I am less upset.

Sorry to hear how upset you are. Take a deep breath, and put it aside for awhile. That's what I do.

Marjpf 01-29-2010 09:43 AM

I feel your pain. I agree - just set it aside for now, otherwise the frustration will only get worse. I think some blocks have gremlins in them that just don't want to get together.

JUNEC 01-29-2010 09:51 AM

I feel your pain. The 3rd quilt I started was - Playing cards. Being new at this, I didn't square up the blocks as I went. What a mess

They are now in a bag in the closet - buried.

But I will not make that mistake again, however I know I will make others - it is good to have this group to help fix these problems
June

skpkatydid 01-29-2010 12:07 PM

Thank you for all your support and suggestions. Thanks Marcia, I tried the press and square idea and it does look better. Plus I am the Queen of Embellishments. lol I am not going to rip any more out. I am going to sew on the last border,prepare for quilting, quilt it and emblish the "wonky" places. Plus I am just learning to machine quilt, so what better to practice on than an already imperfect piece. What more could happen! lol

skpkatydid 01-29-2010 06:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Trying again. Here is the offending wall hanging top.

Jingle 01-29-2010 06:54 PM

It doesn't look bad to me. I still screw up and mess up at least a few times a quilt or it seems like it to me. I have become a very fast ripper. I can't make a perfect quilt but, I sure have perfected ripping. I have made about 89 quilts and comforters over the past 44 years. Some I thought I would be happy with, then I wasn't. If it is not to my liking I stop before I get too far and start ripping and redo. Keep trying you will get better. I am very good at just keep working and not stopping until I get it right. DD says I like banging my head against the wall, meaning I am stubborn and won't give up. I am what I am.