Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fun project for 2018 (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fun-project-2018-a-t293530.html)

fallonquilter 12-24-2017 12:55 PM

Fun project for 2018

What would be a fun project for our small quilt group, of ten women, to do this year?? We meet weekly at my house. And are looking for ideas of what others do as a group.
We did a shoe box quilt last year and that was fun. The year before we did a mystery quilt. So something along those lines would be great. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

QuiltnNan 12-24-2017 01:12 PM

how about string blocks, maybe with the same fabric kite center... usually makes a stunning quilt and will help with all those scraps we seem to have.

thimblebug6000 12-24-2017 01:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
There are eight ladies in my group, one year we decided to make a "house" quilt and swap blocks with each other. So I made 8 blocks with the same pattern but colours that I thought each person would like and added embellishments. A few people asked for one colour sky and they gave each of us a piece, I decided to give everyone a piece of the grey mottled fabric to include a small piece at least in each of the blocks. It was fun, one lady made an outhouse, one lady a log cabin; one has 3 birdhouses in it; one is a barn, one is an old school; the bottom row has quilt shops. The ninth block we got our group picture and transferred it to fabric and I appliquéd our little logo of a ladybug crawling out of a thimble. Each of us ended up with a similar but unique wallhanging. Here is mine. [ATTACH=CONFIG]585940[/ATTACH]

love to sew 12-24-2017 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 7968870)
how about string blocks, maybe with the same fabric kite center... usually makes a stunning quilt and will help with all those scraps we seem to have.

This would be my suggestion to, as it is on my list to make and I love using up my strings.

thimblebug6000 12-24-2017 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another year we decided to make blocks for each other. We each chose what pattern and colours we wanted; then we chose names to see who would go first, etc. I chose the Jewel Box pattern in greens, reds, lights -- all scrappy. Here is a picture of mine. [ATTACH=CONFIG]585941[/ATTACH]

One lady chose the Dresden Plate, so when it was her turn we all made blocks for her. We decided how large of a quilt we would make and then asked for that many blocks from our friends. We all made large quilts.

Gannyrosie 12-24-2017 04:09 PM

embroidery blocks, something fun. Pick a theme and colors.

Kelsie 12-24-2017 09:09 PM

On a slightly different note. The group I just joined, all the ladies have Singer Featherweights so they each made a quilted carrying case for them last year. I just saw the pattern the other day but I can't remember where.

Jingle 12-24-2017 09:47 PM

Very pretty quilts thimblebug6000.

jmoore 12-25-2017 04:05 AM

One of the groups I am in is doing a traveling quilt...each person started with a theme and a notebook about what kind of quilter they are...modern/traditional and colors they enjoy etc... We each made our first block and then passed it onto the next person. It has been a lot of fun to see what has been created each month to the quilts and it has been a great way to get to know the group.

fallonquilter 12-25-2017 05:05 AM

It's beautiful-Thanks for sharing Thimblebug.