Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusible appliqué advice needed (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusible-appliqu%E9-advice-needed-t255567.html)

CraftyRN 10-20-2014 06:58 AM

Fusible appliqué advice needed

1 Attachment(s)
I'm new to applique, and I could use some advice about this small wallhanging. Pumpkins, leaves, vines have all been all fused down, and some of the "bits" are tiny (leaf veins, lines on pumpkins). Do I need to appliqués stitch these all down? Maybe just the pumpkins, for the look of it, or maybe nothing? If I don't intend to wash this, is it necessary?

If not, does anyone have any ideas for the quilting, bearing in mind I'm new to that too! :shock:

Thanks for any advice/ideas you guys might have.

Tartan 10-20-2014 07:03 AM

That is lovely! It is up to you if you don't intend to wash it but it would be a shame if some of the pieces came off. I think I might use one of the new invisible threads to do a tiny blanket or zig zag stitch on the edges.
You could also do your quilt sandwich and do a straight stitch through the center of the stems and at the edge of all the pieces to both secure everything and quilt it at the same time.

ManiacQuilter2 10-20-2014 07:08 AM

I would use a matching thread using a small buttonhole stitch of you have it. Fusible doesn't always hold things in place. Cute quilt.

jeanne49 10-20-2014 07:08 AM

Beautiful!! I would definitely do some stitching on everything, it would be ashame to have the tiny pieces come off.

QuiltnNan 10-20-2014 07:19 AM

i agree with the others. great quilt!

ghostrider 10-20-2014 07:30 AM

What fusible did you use? That answer may very well have a bearing on whether stitching is required. I frequently leave raw edge appliqué pieces unstitched and have never had anything fall off (or even loosen up) over time (going on 20 years for some wall quilts). The key lies in making sure the bond is solid to begin with, neither over nor under fused, and the work remains flat even if/when stored. Batiks hold the bond especially well because of their higher thread count. Nice work!

PaperPrincess 10-20-2014 07:32 AM

And now for a different suggestion. I would get a piece of tulle in a neutral color, put it over the whole quilt and meander the whole thing with invisible thread. A friend of mine did this and it was amazing that you couldn't really see the tulle. Try it on some scraps to see, it would go a lot quicker than blanket stitching all the raw edges.

francie yuhas 10-20-2014 07:43 AM

I would get some YLI invisible poly thread,use a looser tension, and stitch a straight stitch( very slowly works best) next to the edge or down the center of the smaller pieces. Put some batting and backing behind the top,so you quilt at the same time. Use a neutral 50 weight thread in the bobbin. Use a little adhesive spray to hold the sandwich together. BTW,it's a great design!

EmbQuilt 10-20-2014 07:43 AM

If you used heavy duty fusible it specifically states do not sew. Boy I just figured this out a little late (didn't realize I had used the heavier heat n bond). My threads kept breaking no matter which ones I used and in what position I put them in. I changed needles and tension you name it. I finally was able to sew it by adding extra tear away on the bottom and tiny stitches.

Doggramma 10-20-2014 10:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)
When I made this small fusible piece I free motion quilted around each piece, changing thread colors as needed. I think it makes it look more "finished."