Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusible applique - how to not fray the ends? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusible-applique-how-not-fray-ends-t64364.html)

dream56 09-14-2010 05:58 AM

Applique - your wolf was gorgeous especially when you added the eyes

Betty Lee 09-14-2010 06:11 AM

I use light weight fusible interfacing on the back of
my applique pieces, then trim off excess interfacing before
sewing it onto my quilt. I don't have to worry about the
edges fraying out on me. Before I started using this, I had the same problem with fraying edges. Betty Lee

cbridges22 09-14-2010 06:34 AM

Can someone tell me what stabilizer is,what it does and how to use it?I have never heard of it.Thanks

stitchingmemories 09-14-2010 06:44 AM

I use a sheet of copy paper to stabilize my applique piece. Just slide the paper under your fabric,(the applique will be on top of the fabric, so they'll be 3 layers). And stitch through all layers. When you're done the paper will just pull away. This helps move the work around on the machine with very little resistance from moving layers of fabric.

stitchingmemories 09-14-2010 06:47 AM

----Applique---- Only in my dreams could I have applique points so clean and precise! Beautiful work!

catrancher 09-14-2010 07:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by LucyInTheSky

Originally Posted by jayelee
I was taught to sew with the right side of the stitch just off the edge of the fabric I don't know if that helps but I use heat and bond light and dont have this problem

Making sure I have this right - the majority of your stitching is on the applique with only a little on the background, correct?

I'm not sure I understand your question about the stitching, but this is how I do it. I use the blanket stitch, sewing with the straight part of the stitch right next to the applique and the left swing of the needle on the applique. I do a lot of applique and I use Heat 'n Bond light. I use a sharp needle, and I put on a new one for each project. I've never had a problem with fraying, even when I do raw-edged applique where I stitch a straight stitch right on the edge. So far, everything has held together. My guess? It's your needle. Put on a fresh new one each time you do a new applique project. That stuff on the back of the applique can't help but gum things up and dull your needle.

stormatsea45 09-14-2010 08:23 AM

If you are appliqueing through a single layer, yes I would use a stabilizer, but if you were going through the batting and batting, probably no. However, I, personally might not use a satin stitch, I might use just a straight stitch about a scant 1/4" from the applique edge or maybe a blanket stitch. I'd have to try it. You also need to consider how big your quilt if and how easy it will move while appliqueing.

lizzy 09-14-2010 08:30 AM

I fuse the whole piece of cloth that I think I will be using and then cut out the item I will be fusing down. No frayed edges, it is fused all the way. I also save all my little scraps to use in other quilts where I want to fuse something down.

quiltease 09-14-2010 09:54 AM

Okay, I know what to do next time, but I really thought I had followed all your guidelines (except starching) but now have a finished quilt with some of the applique edges, especially the smaller ones, or circular ones, fraying and pulling away from the stitching. Other than taking those pieces off, recutting and sewing them back by hand, is there anything I can do to correct the problem? Glue? Fray check? Don't want to ruin the quilt with something that may not work. Thanks all. You always come to the rescue!!!
bev.

pieces 09-14-2010 10:08 AM

I use E. Burns method in her Sunbonnet Sue Book.
Trace the pattern on the fusible.
Sew the fusible onto the fabric piece.
Cut a slit in the fusible, turn, and finger press. Iron in position on your quilt block. Stitch around the applique piece with the buttonhole stitch. Works great and no frayed edges because the edges are in a seam. :thumbup: