Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fusible batting?????? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fusible-batting-t178615.html)

jme 02-08-2012 09:36 AM

Fusible batting??????

I've never used this stuff before but I picked up a package at the thrift store. So have you used it? What are you're thoughts? Good, bad? Is it tricky to use or hard to quilt? Thanks for all your help!

omaluvs2quilt 02-08-2012 09:39 AM

I used it on some placemats I made with the grandkids for Christmas presents, worked pretty good. Not sure how it would work on a whole quilt though.

Judith1005 02-08-2012 09:40 AM

Love it!! It's expensive by the yard. I like using it for smaller projects. Parts of stuffed animals, wall hangings. It quilts wonderfully.

jme 02-08-2012 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Judith1005 (Post 4955296)
Love it!! It's expensive by the yard. I like using it for smaller projects. Parts of stuffed animals, wall hangings. It quilts wonderfully.

Thanks, I have a crib quilt I'm working on that I was thinking of using it for.

katydidkg 02-08-2012 09:53 AM

I've only used the fusible on small projects, like the Wonder Wallet. It worked great ! I would never try it on a quilt, since I love quilt basting spray.

Rumbols 02-08-2012 10:15 AM

Great question. I have used it on purses, totes, wall hangings, etc. but never in a quilt. Seems to get to stiff for a bed quilt. I am sure there are lots of quilters who have used it for more than I have. I will be watching for their answers too. Thanks for posting.

Crqltr 02-08-2012 10:20 AM

I like it for small projects, place mats, runners, ect. Not for a quilt tho, gets way to flat and stiff for my liking.

Maggiem 02-08-2012 10:31 AM

I use Hobbs Fusible batting for all my quilts and I love it. It makes putting the quilt sandwich together a pleasure: I can do a lap quilt in an hour! It is easy, drapes nicely and is excellent for machine quilting. It can be re-fused easily and is nice and soft when the quilt is washed. In my last quilt I used two layers for more warmth and am very pleased with the result.

virtualbernie 02-08-2012 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by Rumbols (Post 4955401)
Great question. I have used it on purses, totes, wall hangings, etc. but never in a quilt. Seems to get to stiff for a bed quilt. I am sure there are lots of quilters who have used it for more than I have. I will be watching for their answers too. Thanks for posting.

Are you thinking of fusible fleece? Fleece would be stiff for a bed quilt but fusible batting is different.

AnnieH 02-08-2012 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by Maggiem (Post 4955449)
I use Hobbs Fusible batting for all my quilts and I love it. It makes putting the quilt sandwich together a pleasure: I can do a lap quilt in an hour! It is easy, drapes nicely and is excellent for machine quilting. It can be re-fused easily and is nice and soft when the quilt is washed. In my last quilt I used two layers for more warmth and am very pleased with the result.

Me too with the Hobbs. Have just finished my second double sized quilt. I can even do it on the kitchen table. Give it a go.
Annie