Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Fustrated.......pieced border! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fustrated-pieced-border-t189134.html)

nancyw 05-17-2012 06:58 AM

Sorry that's for the binding. I do what the others do piec them then measure the quilt in the middle and cut them to size.

QandE2010 05-17-2012 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by judys (Post 5220876)
Isn't it great that we can each do it the way we prefer and they all turn out just the way we want them....eventually!

Amen to that.

FroggyinTexas 05-17-2012 08:45 AM

I piece mine on the diagonal because (1) I like the look (2) It reduces bulk and (3) I want that fabric to know it can't win! froggyintexas

Originally Posted by gramarraine (Post 5220469)
I think a block on the cornor is a good idea and will solve the problem. I also piece my borders on the diagonal because I like the look better than straight across. I know it takes more fabric but if I like the look better I guess it is worth it.

GrannieAnnie 05-17-2012 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingCrazie (Post 5220236)
So I'm venting a minute because this is the second time I have to stop and breathe over this border strip. I'm not this dense I know I'm not!!! So I needed to make two border strips 2 1/2 by 62 I cut and sewed, they turned out great then I realized I measured wrong and was short 1 1/2" on each so I thought ok not that bad and next time wait to have someone hold the other end of the measuring tape so it's accurate. When I piece my border strips I do them on the diagonal so i cut an extra piece for each one 5" thinking that's more then enough since I only need 1 1/2" ....can you believe I'm still 1/2" short??? I know it has to do with piecing them on the diagonal and I should have double checked. So I probably have already answered my question and will cut it all off and do it again since I have extra fabric...but still...ever feel like a quilt is fighting you the whole way and WINNING! To top it off this was a finished UFO top that I never quilted because I never liked it so I'm fixing it and am trying to get it ready to be quilted Monday if it would cooperate already!!! Thanks for letting me vent, Rachel

Are you intending to cut your borders from the length of your fabric------------or do you use WOF and piece it? Being the chicken hearted person that I am, I just start sewing-------------when I get to the end of my seam------------then I cut---------and leave a tad to spare just in case.

yippie 05-17-2012 10:05 AM

Hi quilting crazie, during the holidays of 2011 I started to make a quilt for a really sick child (cancer) I made it a simple design, thought a month tops it would take. Well around thanksgiving the quilt just did not want to be made ( it was my plan to have it done before thanksgiving). I put pieces together and took them apart so many times I just gave up I figured the quilt just did not want to be made. I put it all away cleaned up my sewing room that I use for big dinners set the room up for the 20 plus people. 3 weeks later took the quilt out again and it still did not want to be put together. Finally by the end of january I was able to take it to the little girl and her grandpa. She rreally loves it and plays with it every day. The quilt is titled "Dreams do come true" I used disney fabrics. SOOOOooo I guess what I am saying maybe what you are working on is not ready to be created. ;~)

quiltmom04 05-17-2012 11:26 AM

I've done that too, come up short. But usually just because I runout of fabric. I do what be of the other quilters said - piece the border, sew it on and THEN cut. If you pin in on right, you won't have any problem stretching or waviness. Also, if I don't have enough fabric, I have added pieces of the fabric I used in the design, into the border, as if I had planned it that way all along. I did this with a Bargello quilt, and I got a lot of compliments on the border.

Grandma Peg 05-17-2012 11:46 AM

Think we have all had days like that. But you have to show this quilt who is boss!!! lol

Judi in Ohio 05-17-2012 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by joyce888 (Post 5220424)
Been there also. One time I added a pieced block to the corners so the border being short was a good thing. It really added a better finish to the quilt.

As a friend always said "There are no mistakes, just creative possibilities". I live by this and have made so many mistakes that turn out better than if they were planned. I made a baby sampler and this time the name across the top turned out awful. The design I had done was so stitch intensive I hated to lose it, so I cut the fabric out across the top, got a new piece of fabric and joined it with a decorative machine stitch - it turned out adorable. The next name was so much better.
I tried to add a border to a quilt to enlarge it, had nothing but small pieces left of the fabric, and I can't go into describing what I did it was so involved, but that border is my very most favorite of all I've ever done.
So, yea for mistakes, you can improve it.

Scrap41 05-17-2012 12:45 PM

Are you measuring your quilt thru the center for your borders or along the edge? Measure thru the center
I do that, put a pin in if I am using a shorter tape measure and then add the two figures together to get the
right measurement. I have done borders on the diagonal and cut them the correct measurement. Sometimes
I don't want to do that and I purchase enough fabrice to cut them without piecing and then cut the correct measurement. This keeps your borders from waving. The only time I have pieced borders straight is
when I used a stripe and wanted it to match instead of having the 45 degree angle.

karate lady 05-17-2012 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter (Post 5221839)
I miter the binding strips but not the border pieces. When short, a corner block is a nice addition.

this is what I do and I had the problem of the border being too short on my daughters quilt. Put a corner block and it not only finished it off nicely, I was able to have thier brand embroidered on each corner.