Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FYI - Walmart (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fyi-walmart-t50411.html)

sally's girl 06-20-2010 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltingGrannie
Our store just started their remodel on Monday. Our fabric dept will still carry some fabric but we are also loosing a lot! We are getting a smaller cutting table, but will still be cutting fabric for our customers.
Our craft portion of the department is shrinking a LOT too!
I had 3 customers tell me today that they won't shop at the store AT ALL if the fabric goes away! And they are some of our regular customers! I hate if for them! I'll miss them!

Hi, do you work at Wal-Mart? I just went p/t after 6yrs f/t.
We had remodeling this spring...we have the quilting fabric and kits.....it is corp. decission to do away with fabric on the bolt... the store managers have no choice in the matter...there is a town 20 miles from us that has no fabric stores, so corp. let that store keep bolt fabric. We also have some pre-quilted fabric.

shopella 06-20-2010 08:14 AM

They closed down all the fabric departments in Pensacola Florida wallmarts

patricej 06-20-2010 08:28 AM

one more reminder ... we're talking about the precuts. not about the closing of departments. please limit your comments in this topic to that subject.

to comment about departments closing, please feel free to search out one of the many threads on that subject and add your thoughts.

EagarBeez 06-20-2010 08:46 AM

I have no real use for precuts. So bottom line is Walmart lost my business

Bevanger 06-20-2010 08:58 AM

ours has fabric, but not like they used to

ginnyk 06-20-2010 09:23 AM

I just went to Walmart.com to see if they had fabric on line and this is the message I found.

Find Fabric at Your Local Wal-Mart Store
Fabric is not available online at Walmart.com, but you can find a full assortment of fabric and sewing supplies at your local Wal-Mart store.

I used to work at corporate in Bentonville, and my take on that statement is that they are looking for a way to make fabrics pay for their floor space and pre-cuts may be the answer. A lot will depend on how successful this proves to be. The criteria is how much money they generate per square foot of space and how it compares with other departments.

patricej 06-20-2010 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
ours has fabric, but not like they used to

do they have precuts? that's the subject of this thread.

if they have them, do you think you'll like them or pass them by?

raptureready 06-20-2010 01:26 PM

All the Walmarts in our area, 6 of them, have already phased out. A couple have the precuts but not anything of quality that I would want. I think, for me, it's more that I don't like having pre-picked, pre-cut fabrics. I want to pick my own and have them cut to the length I want. I'm just picky that way. I want what I want, when I want, the way I want. When it comes to fabric, I'm a toddler.

raptureready 06-20-2010 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by amma
Ours has jelly rolls, FQ's, and packaged coordinating pairs of 1 yard cuts and charm squares. They are still carrying fabric too.

Be very careful of their jelly rolls in their precut fabrics. A lady I sew with bought one and it had 10 of one print, 1 of several and odd numbers of other prints. She really had a hard time making a quilt from it because of the one overwhelming print.

Lockeb 06-20-2010 01:37 PM

I was in the U.S. yesterday and visited 2 Wal-Marts in update NY..neither had precuts - nothing - no precut yards, no FQ, no jelly rolls....they both has some bolts - but not a lot - lot like we used to see...but at least they did have some..although the only thing I bought was fusible webbing for applique....