Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   FYI - Walmart (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/fyi-walmart-t50411.html)

PurplePassion 06-19-2010 07:46 PM

How far is 2 yards gonna go for a backing??

littlehud 06-19-2010 07:52 PM

I wouldn't know about ours. I try not to go there. They don't listen to us so I don't shop there.

virtualbernie 06-19-2010 07:56 PM

Went to my Walmart today...where there were 3 aisles is now only 2. Doesn't appear they're restocking fabric either...I guess the writing's on the wall.

doxieloverred 06-19-2010 08:16 PM

From an "insider" that I know, many W-M stores are getting rid of fabric and the rest are going to go to the lengths you described. They consider cutting fabric to be "labor intensive" and don't want to pay staff. If you look at what's left of the crafts, it's almost all kits. They are getting rid of the single items like packages of stickers and going to scrapbooking kits with everything included. I am furious!! Those of us with experience don't want kits, we just want the pieces we need! But to them it cuts down on inventory. To me, it says they don't care enough about their customers to give them what they want. It also means that I need to travel several hours one way to get what I need. Well, guess what? I'll get everything else I need while I'm there and no longer support my local store.
And don't kid yourself--the craft department is one of the biggest money-makers they have, after health and beauty. At least in my town (and most smaller towns without access to the larger chain fabric and craft stores)! That's why it is located in the very back of the store--so customers have to pass by everything else in the store to get there.....

curious1255 06-19-2010 08:25 PM

i was the department manager or my stores fabric department and i never even knew when they would do away with the fabric until i went in one day and the fabric was scanning 25% off we no longer have sewing machines or anything to do with sewing very little fat quarters

mom-6 06-19-2010 08:34 PM

It seems like the stores in areas with any sort of other fabric/craft stores within 30 miles are getting rid of fabric and crafts. The ones with greater distance to other options seem to have been more successful in retaining their fabric and craft departments.

galvestonangel 06-19-2010 08:43 PM

Ladies, if you want your fabric department back, flood Walmart with letters. It worked at one Walmart. The genius that decided to take all the fabric out, shows how out of touch with reality he/she is. Walmart was the only fabric store within 25+ miles of our town, I don't go in as much as I use to, I don't like the the way they changed everything around.

Jingle 06-19-2010 08:44 PM

I think all Wal Marts around here are getting rid of fabrics, some craft stuff and crap that would seem not to be very profitable, I don't think most people would buy. Expanded the electronics dept., which I don't buy, okay for now as I have tons and tons of fabrics, if I need a match for something I will go to a Jo Anns, we several not too far away.

quilterj 06-20-2010 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by lfw045
I went into a new Walmart in Appomattox, VA today and much to my amazement there was a whole isle of fabric.....that's right ladies, fabric in two yard lengths for $7.00. There were cottons, flannel and fleece. There were actually some pretty pieces and the quality felt good. It was hanging with lablels attached. I'm just curious if this is going to be in all Walmarts. Has anyone else seen this yet? Somebody is obviously listening to the quilters........let's see where it takes us.

On another thread I mentioned last a couple weeks ago. I had been to knoxville, kentucky. They had just alittle fabric left. The assoc. thier said that after they remodel that they were to have 2 and 3 or 2 and 5 yards for sale. So far here in Ga. I haven't seen that yet in the stores who have already lost all of theirs. I guess I will have to ask if they may be getting it back, or if it is just certain stores. It would be nice if they would all get some again.

quilterj 06-20-2010 02:45 AM

We have 2 stores left around me here in Ga. that are at least an hr. away. When they get rid of theirs I hope they go to precut also. At least they are thinking of us again!!! Who knows maybe the precut will sell better than the bolts and then they will decide to bring it back to all the stores.
So everyone lets SHOP,SHOP,SHOP!!!!!!!!