Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   garage sale pricing (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/garage-sale-pricing-t188748.html)

Scissor Queen 05-11-2012 08:19 PM

I think your price is fine. My general take on garage sales is, it's my stuff and if you don't like my price you don't have to buy it.

M.I.Late 05-11-2012 08:29 PM

I had that happen to me at one of my yard sales several years ago...I said to them: "If you don't plan on paying for that, put in back on the table on your way out, there's nothing else here you would be interested in either." They were so shocked that I confronted them, they just sat the entire bag down (including a blouse they had previously purchased or stolen next door) and left. And you usually get, oh I thought my husband, sister, mother paid you already. But this lady said nothing - she was publicly embarrassed. (And that's ok with me!)

I would offer your fabrics here for a much more satisfying experience :)

Dingle 05-11-2012 09:26 PM

If I was at your sale I would have wiped you out and then some! I would have no problem paying what you were asking. Please consider selling on this board.

Painiacs 05-11-2012 09:37 PM

Sell here I'd pay your prices!! Gladly! Shame on the shoplifters!!!

patricej 05-12-2012 01:15 AM

the last time i checked stealing was a crime.

follow them to the car, take down the license number, cell phone photo(s) ...

911 - in a heartbeat.

ckcowl 05-12-2012 01:43 AM

most of the yard sales i have stopped at with fabric the fabric was priced by the piece - not by the yard- i have never seen any priced that high- i've bought 1 1/2 - 2 yard pieces for $2- $3 each-
i know location always matters-
and people tend to expect deals at yard/garage sales-figuring you are trying to clear out and what doesn't sell usually goes to a thrift store...priced to sell-
if you want to make some money from your fabric there are better places to sell it- here, ebay, guild sales,
or advertise your yard sale as a 'quilter's sale'- detailing in the ad what you have to offer & perhaps include (quilt shop quality items)
just like people who are trying to sell antiques cover that in their ads- otherwise they would not sell anything...you need to 'draw in' the right crowd. :thumbup:

ptquilts 05-12-2012 03:00 AM

What if you put a big sign, Fabric at 75% OFF? Then they would know they were getting a bargain, not just cheap fabric.

Shoplifters, I would just say, "did you want to pay for that________ now?" Some people, jeesh....

Mona Marie 05-12-2012 04:20 AM

If I could find yard sales at that price I would have loaded up. I live in Dutch country and if they don't get their money out of left overs it is a no sale.

ArtsyOne 05-12-2012 04:30 AM

Barb's idea of a sign saying 75% off is a good one. I certainly would have bought fabric at your price.

I was at a garage sale last week where someone had taken a number of cd's without paying for them. The seller didn't know what to do, but had taken down the licence number. I encouraged her to call police and held down the fort for her while she did so. Unless the situation is dangerous, I would definitely confront someone who is stealing items that are already being practically given away because of low pricing.

homecaregiver 05-12-2012 04:41 AM

I agree, if you still have it and want to sell, put it on the QB, I have had a lot of success and happy with what I have purchased here on the board. Please put it on the site here.
Pat