Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: garage sale pricing

garage sale pricing

I am having a garage sale and have priced my fabric (most of it is quilt shop $9 - $12 A yard) at $2 - $3 a yard and have had alot of quilters complaining that it is too high priced. What do you price it at? I was also shocked to see a women about 70 shop lifting. Her husband put movies in their bag with purchases from next door and she was putting Aida cloth in her purse. If they were hard off I would have given them it if asked but they were dress to the high and driving a newer car. Would you have asked for payment of the items or as I did not say anything.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    I would of in a loud voice have said" So what goodies did you get from next door that your putting in that lovely bag of yours? Can I see what I missed out on??"

As for the garage sales prices, most- including me- are looking for pieces $.10 up to $.50...

I know most people are looking for a huge bargain . . . but I'd rather give the fabric to a charity, than sell it for a few cents on the dollar.

As for the thieves, I'd have loudly said something like, "Oooops! I believe you forgot to pay for that!"

I have not had the luck to find a yard sale with fabric, but would be thrilled to find good fabric @ $2.00 a yard. I see it here on the board for $5.00 + a yard with postage on top of that, so $2.00 - $3.00 @ least gives you some bargaining room for those folks that love to barter.

As for the shop-lifting not sure what I would do. It seems hard to believe they both did it by accident, but I would hope that I would say something to them just to let them know it was not okay to just take the items. It's one thing to ask if the prices were negotiable it's another just to take them.

I think quilt shop quality should be priced $4-5/yard. Shopping at a Guild sale a few years ago quilters were complaining about expensive quilting books being priced at $3-4! There's bargain hunting, and then there's just plain cheap. You can sell fabric in the appropriate section here following the rules.

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    id be interested in seeing what you had.. Who knows you may be able to sell it here..

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by luvTooQuilt View Post
    id be interested in seeing what you had.. Who knows you may be able to sell it here..
    Me too , please think about selling some/all here

Power Poster
    If yhour fabric is from quilt shops your price is very reasonable. Was to a rummage sale where the fabric was from Walmart and they had it marked $5.00, what she paid for it. Thought that was terrible.

Shoplifting at garage sales: I like luvTooQuilt's reply: "I would of in a loud voice have said" So what goodies did you get from next door that your putting in that lovely bag of yours? Can I see what I missed out on??"

Prices: I'm happy to pay $2 - $3 yard for high quality fabric .... but I was wondering why you didn't offer it here first with buyer paying shipping. QB people appreciate good quality.
    A lady offered fabric on Craigslist with advertised prices of $1 - $2. I drove 50 miles only to discover her prices were actually $4 - $5. I did buy one piece but was disgusted with myself for driving that far for so little and with her for misleading buyers ... and then, when I went to use the fabric the finished project was wonky !

Quote Originally Posted by athenascooter View Post
    I am having a garage sale and have priced my fabric (most of it is quilt shop $9 - $12 A yard) at $2 - $3 a yard and have had alot of quilters complaining that it is too high priced. What do you price it at? I was also shocked to see a women about 70 shop lifting. Her husband put movies in their bag with purchases from next door and she was putting Aida cloth in her purse. If they were hard off I would have given them it if asked but they were dress to the high and driving a newer car. Would you have asked for payment of the items or as I did not say anything.

IMO, a garage sale is not the place to be selling good fabric, UNLESS you simply want it gone. Your prices are decent for the fabric, just not low enough for a garage sale.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I think your price is fine. My general take on garage sales is, it's my stuff and if you don't like my price you don't have to buy it.

I had that happen to me at one of my yard sales several years ago...I said to them: "If you don't plan on paying for that, put in back on the table on your way out, there's nothing else here you would be interested in either." They were so shocked that I confronted them, they just sat the entire bag down (including a blouse they had previously purchased or stolen next door) and left. And you usually get, oh I thought my husband, sister, mother paid you already. But this lady said nothing - she was publicly embarrassed. (And that's ok with me!)

I would offer your fabrics here for a much more satisfying experience

If I was at your sale I would have wiped you out and then some! I would have no problem paying what you were asking. Please consider selling on this board.

Blog Entries
    Sell here I'd pay your prices!! Gladly! Shame on the shoplifters!!!

Blog Entries
    the last time i checked stealing was a crime.

follow them to the car, take down the license number, cell phone photo(s) ...

911 - in a heartbeat.
    I Quilt, I Nap, I Quilt Some More ... Aaaaah, The Good Life!

for Newsletter or Digest issues, please contact [email protected]

To contact me with questions or suggestions that relate to our community, you may email [email protected]

Blog Entries
    most of the yard sales i have stopped at with fabric the fabric was priced by the piece - not by the yard- i have never seen any priced that high- i've bought 1 1/2 - 2 yard pieces for $2- $3 each-
    i know location always matters-
    and people tend to expect deals at yard/garage sales-figuring you are trying to clear out and what doesn't sell usually goes to a thrift store...priced to sell-
    if you want to make some money from your fabric there are better places to sell it- here, ebay, guild sales,
    or advertise your yard sale as a 'quilter's sale'- detailing in the ad what you have to offer & perhaps include (quilt shop quality items)
    just like people who are trying to sell antiques cover that in their ads- otherwise they would not sell anything...you need to 'draw in' the right crowd.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

What if you put a big sign, Fabric at 75% OFF? Then they would know they were getting a bargain, not just cheap fabric.

Shoplifters, I would just say, "did you want to pay for that________ now?" Some people, jeesh....

If I could find yard sales at that price I would have loaded up. I live in Dutch country and if they don't get their money out of left overs it is a no sale.
    Mona Marie
    I am too Blessed to be stressed and too Anointed to be disappointed

Barb's idea of a sign saying 75% off is a good one. I certainly would have bought fabric at your price.

I was at a garage sale last week where someone had taken a number of cd's without paying for them. The seller didn't know what to do, but had taken down the licence number. I encouraged her to call police and held down the fort for her while she did so. Unless the situation is dangerous, I would definitely confront someone who is stealing items that are already being practically given away because of low pricing.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

I agree, if you still have it and want to sell, put it on the QB, I have had a lot of success and happy with what I have purchased here on the board. Please put it on the site here.
    Pat
    Patsy

Blog Entries
    I guess that the best pricing test would be: How much did you sell? if you are happy with the yardage you sold at the price marked, then who cares about the complainers? if you didn't sell what you had hoped, then looks like you priced it a bit high for your geographic area.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
    I have not had the luck to find a yard sale with fabric, but would be thrilled to find good fabric @ $2.00 a yard. I see it here on the board for $5.00 + a yard with postage on top of that, so $2.00 - $3.00 @ least gives you some bargaining room for those folks that love to barter.

As for the shop-lifting not sure what I would do. It seems hard to believe they both did it by accident, but I would hope that I would say something to them just to let them know it was not okay to just take the items. It's one thing to ask if the prices were negotiable it's another just to take them.
    Ditto to this
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    "Ma'am, when I give things away I have the right to choose who receives them. Today, this garage "SALE" is being held because I, myself, need the funds I will raise by selling my things. As this is not a garage "TAKE", if you do not care to pay for them, please return them to the table so that I can sell them to another honest person. Thank you."...with that oh-no-you-didn't mother glare we've all perfected.

Just as I would refuse to open my door to someone I didn't know or care to deal with; or talk on my phone to a sales pitch or wrong number; or allow someone to cross my yard and pick all my flowers or dig up my shrubs; or stand by while someone beat up on my kid......I would not allow someone I didn't know walk off with MY possessions while I was standing in MY yard/garage.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Blog Entries
    yes, garage sales aren't what they used to be. MY SIL talks people down to $1.00 or $1.50. I've thought of clearing out all the stuff we have in this house but it's not worth all the trouble. and stealing is getting bad, kids too (with the knowledge of the parent).
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Blog Entries
    or sell your fabric elsewhere online. good luck.
    "From hence only infer that an Englishman, of all men, ought not to despise foreigners as such and I think the inference is just, since what they are today, we were yesterday, and tomorrow they will be like us"
    Daniel De Foe -The True Englishman

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast