Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   General cost of sewing machine tune-up? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/general-cost-sewing-machine-tune-up-t22174.html)

Rose Marie 07-01-2009 10:10 PM

My viking Sapphire ran 80 dollars. It was 2 yrs old before I took it in for serviceing.

mic-pa 07-02-2009 02:57 AM

I think I paid $150. last time my was in the shop and it needs to go again. They do recommend a yearly check=up and I have 3 Janome's. My 3500 has never been back. I just keep it clean. Marge

sandpat 07-02-2009 03:31 AM

I've been quoted 75-80 bucks for the recommended annual servicing for my Bernina. Mine is scheduled for its 1st one (which was included free when I bought the machine) this month. They said I could wait for it if I wanted...(they'd love for me to just shop that long) I think I'll try to coordinate it with a class so he can do the servicing while I actually learn something. The shop isn't all that close to home.

lfw045 07-02-2009 04:08 AM

I know I'm going to probably get slammed for this one but here goes.....what's new......rofl. I have had my Singer since 1979 and it has gone through a lot of sewing since then. The gears are encased with oil as per the instruction book that came with it, it never needs oiling. I keep the lint out of it myself on a regular basis and it is a workhorse. It has never (thank the Lord) seen the inside of a shop.

I just cleaned and oiled my aunt's 1960 - something Singer Touch and Sew and it sews beautifully........still and I know she worked it on a regular basis.

Love my Singers! I have to say though, I just bought my daughter a brand new Janome under $200 and fell in love with that one myself......lol!

krabadan 07-02-2009 04:09 AM

The charge around here for servicing is $79.95 - with a four-month guarantee

weste 07-02-2009 04:35 AM

I have a 25 year old Bernina 1130 and have never had it serviced. What you want to bet it will go out on me because I posted this. lol

Mamagus 07-02-2009 04:53 AM

My Janome cost 90.00 CAD and it was one day service. He wants to see it again this summer but I don't think he will. I bought some pressurized air for delicate computer parts and give the bobbin case a clean out every month or so. Unless it starts giving problems with tension and feed (which I know I can't fix) it will be here at home where I can see it and talk to it everyday.

I'd advise anyone with a new machine to take it in during the warranty period. Because you know how sticky companies can be if the machine servicing schedule wasn't followed!

sewjoyce 07-02-2009 04:59 AM

The cost here for my Bernina is $60.00. They recommend a yearly "check-up". Need to take my 440 in -- it's over 2 yrs. old and hasn't been serviced :oops: :oops: -- just hate to do without her for that long even though I have another Bernina....

Esqmommy 07-02-2009 05:49 AM

My last service was $150

Pam B 07-02-2009 05:58 AM

Cost in my area: about $70 (central IN)
Frequency: I think that depends upon how much you use your machine. I have one machine that I use the most and I try to take it in about once a year. I keep it cleaned out with canned air. I have a 2nd machine that I do not use as often and I only take it about every other year.
I would think the kind of fabric you use alot of might make a difference, as well. I take my machine to the LQS where I purchased it. I love my dealer and all the people in that store!