Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gentlemen, would you tell us what you think developed your interest in sewing? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gentlemen-would-you-tell-us-what-you-think-developed-your-interest-sewing-t42575.html)

dsb38327 04-15-2010 04:52 AM

Originally Posted by ckcowl
i'm not a man, but i've taught a few to quilt...started with my nephew (then 20)
then my oldest son hits the scene...never to be outdone by his cousin
..enter the youngest son(about 14 at the time) and he not to ever be outdone by the older two designed himself an pretty cool quilt...
they are all 3 very creative...and over the years have pushed my to find new techniques and figure out how to do things...
like curved piecing...
..they push me...they are FABULOUS at picking out colors/putting together collections
.. and all 3 of them have in turn taught their girlfriends how to sew :)

You are a strong, loving leader. Many will be blessed for their lifetime with the knowledge you passed on to them. I enjoyed your story. Thank-you for sharing.

hokieappmom 04-15-2010 04:53 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I am retired army officer and made all my wife's formal dresses for all the balls we attended. When I get a new digital camera I will post pictures. Glenn from Huntsville :lol:

I'm impressed! Can't wait to see pictures from all the gents. These are great stories from everyone.

dsb38327 04-15-2010 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
Dsb, don't worry about getting on the guys bad side on here. They won't be insulted that you asked what got them sewing. I'm sure you will get some good answers.

So far, so good. These stories warm my heart.

dsb38327 04-15-2010 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
After I was finished making her quilt I was hooked!!

Billy

Are the eyes under that beautiful quilt sleeping or awake? I love the puppies also. I am glad you have the passion for sewing and I enjoyed your story. Thank-you for sharing with us.

dsb38327 04-15-2010 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
Well I don't have a very exciting story, but here it is.

Quilting just relaxes me, there is something to be said when you are working in front of you machine and you kinda of hit a rhythem, where it's just you and the machine, and your only worry is your 1/4 inch seam allowance. :)

Well anyway, that's why I started quilting and how I feel about it.

Oh, I think your story is very heartwarming. When I read your story, I was 5 again standing in my grandmother's kitchen leaning my head against her tummy getting my hugs and kisses. Honestly, it's true.
I enjoy your posts and appreciate your sharing your knowledge with us.

dsb38327 04-15-2010 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by Glenn
I lived with my grandmother for several years. She taught me to sew by mending my play clothes. You know sew buttons and such. She said I should learn this so I could take care of myself. She also taught me to knit and crochet. I would have rather been playing ball outside!!! LOL We made a quilt together and I have beeen sewing and quilting ever since about 6 years old. I am now 63. I have her old treadle singer and all her sewing stuff, including some unusual pin cushions. I use all of it still today. I piece with the singer and quilt by hand. I am retired army officer and made all my wife's formal dresses for all the balls we attended. When I get a new digital camera I will post pictures. Glenn from Huntsville :lol:

Glenn, I enjoyed the story so much. That you learned so many things from your grandmother and had/have such deep love and respect for her. That you still love and use the worldly things she loved. Very enjoyable. I look forward to seeing photographs. Thank-you for sharing.

laralea 04-15-2010 06:14 AM

I love all of your stories. They are uplifting and bring extra sunshine to my day. Thanks for sharing them!

fktsewing 04-15-2010 06:15 AM

Thought I would throw in what started my son quilting. He was always in the sewing room with me when he was little, looking at fabrics and patterns. He was and is my biggest fan and supporter for this craft. He got into theatre and started making costumes for plays as well as acting. Let me bactrack that he lives south of London, England in Croydon. A couple of years ago, he got very sick with shakes, panic attacks, and when I went to visit him because I was so worried, he had not left his flat except to go to the doctors. The first couple of days were rough, but then we went to see some sights close to his place on short excursions. He said he needed curtains and things made for the apartment. So we headed for the quilt shop to look at fabrics. He found some he loved and we then went to the sewing machine dealer over there. We found him a really nice machine that was a trade in and spent most of the rest of that week sewing like crazy. Little by little, I noticed that he was becoming his old self again. A friend of his over there was expecting so I suggested he get fabrics and make a baby quilt. Well, that was all it took. He has made several quilts since then and now when he gets stressed, he sews and quilts. He is totally fine now, and the docs do not have a clue as to what happened or why. His doc now recommends sewing/quilting to his patients who are struggling with problems. It is so cool!!! He is supposed to come visit this summer and I plan on having a couple of days where we just sew and quilt.

sewnsewer2 04-15-2010 06:42 AM

What a great thread! I always wondered how men got started quilting, and I admire men who quilt!! Quilting isn't just a woman's thing. :lol:

My goodness Eddie, I thought you have been quilting for years from seeing your work, you amaze me as all you men do! :thumbup:

My son made a quilt in the 8th grade, but not since. He is amazed at the quilts I make now.

Keep the stories coming guys, really enjoy reading them. :-D

heidikins 04-15-2010 08:05 AM

What a great thread! Thank you all for sharing your stories with us! Heidi