Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   GFG Quilt Top Finally Finished!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gfg-quilt-top-finally-finished-t193811.html)

KathyC9511 07-06-2012 01:13 PM

GFG Quilt Top Finally Finished!!!

Well, after 8+ months of collecting fabric and sewing flowers for my grandmother flower garden quilt, the top is finally finished. There are a total of 77 flowers, each one a different print and no two alike.

I have pinned the back, batting and top together and am ready to start hand quilting.

I purchased the Thimblelady hoop and needles a while back. The quilt top is 108" x 108".

Now my dilemma, this quilt top is so large that I am having trouble quilting it.

I am now wondering if I need to purchase a floor quilt frame like the Grace Frame EZ 3 Fabri-Fast Hand Quilting frame to make it easier to hand quilt.

Any suggestions??

117becca 07-06-2012 02:12 PM

I was hoping to see a picture!!! LOL!!!

You could go to joann's and get their pvc floor frame - much less expensive. I like the size because it doesn't take up a bunch of space. I baste my quilts really well and have no problem about the layers shifting.

Congrats and have fun!!! And post a picture!! ;)

cad_queen_2000 07-06-2012 02:24 PM

i also baste all my quilts really well, and i don't have any problems with them shifting. i have used a hoop for over 10 years to quilt all my quilts (ever since i snapped one of the sticks on my floor frame.) i usually baste the distance from the tip of my thumb to the tip of my pinky when my fingers are spread out (about 5 - 6 inches both cross-wise and length-wise.)

KathyC9511 07-06-2012 02:42 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Becca,

Here are two pictures of my quilt top. Sure is big!!!!

LivelyLady 07-06-2012 03:02 PM

That's one beautiful quilt!

ckcowl 07-06-2012 03:12 PM

you dont say why you are having a problem quilting it??? so knowing if a floor frame would help is hard to tell---some people prefer hoop quilting- others prefer a frame-many large large quilts have been quilted with a hoop-
are you new to hand quilting? maybe you just haven't quite got the hang of it yet?it takes some time & practice...before spending money on a frame which may not make it easier for you maybe you could try one out somewhere? or borrow one from someone? see if you like that way better??? i spent a couple hundred $$ on a floor frame a number of years ago- set it up & loaded a quilt- many of us worked off & on on that quilt for months- then we found the frame being used much more often as a (hanger/holder) to drape fabrics over- --- a catch all---i finally sold it- found a hoop much easier- it was portable & quilts actually got quilted==
i do know many people who have the space & always have a large frame set up- sit in front of it & work at it alot- it just was impractical in my world-
did you baste it well??? basting is an important step to hand quilting.

Lori S 07-06-2012 03:12 PM

I sure is big... and beautiful!!!

Pat625 07-06-2012 03:38 PM

Absolutely beautiful!! I am in the process of cutting my hexagons for one...It will be my hand project when I finish my cathedral Window

117becca 07-06-2012 03:48 PM

Way too gorgeous!!! I love GFG!!! I've quilted 3 of them....

You need more pins going thru the flowers. You only seem to have pins on the white..Think about adding at least 2 more pins per flower. It's almost like you can't pin too much - it helps keep things from shifting.

Great idea to try various frames if possible. When you start quilting - start in the middle and work your way out in all directions. Can't wait to see!

auntpiggylpn 07-06-2012 06:55 PM

I am getting ready to embark on my very first hand quilting project, a Queen sized Double Wedding Ring. I knew I didn't want the quilt to be laying on my lap all the time as it is pretty large and heavy. I was able to buy a Q-Snap floor frame on Craigslist for $25!!! They are sold at Joanns for $99 http://www.joann.com/q-snap-floor-fr...-x39-/prd2867/
I would check your local Craigslist as there were a few from me to choose from on my local one.