Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GFG Quilt Top Finally Finished!!!

GFG Quilt Top Finally Finished!!!

Well, after 8+ months of collecting fabric and sewing flowers for my grandmother flower garden quilt, the top is finally finished. There are a total of 77 flowers, each one a different print and no two alike.

I have pinned the back, batting and top together and am ready to start hand quilting.

I purchased the Thimblelady hoop and needles a while back. The quilt top is 108" x 108".

Now my dilemma, this quilt top is so large that I am having trouble quilting it.

I am now wondering if I need to purchase a floor quilt frame like the Grace Frame EZ 3 Fabri-Fast Hand Quilting frame to make it easier to hand quilt.

Any suggestions??

I was hoping to see a picture!!! LOL!!!

You could go to joann's and get their pvc floor frame - much less expensive. I like the size because it doesn't take up a bunch of space. I baste my quilts really well and have no problem about the layers shifting.

Congrats and have fun!!! And post a picture!!
    my name is becca and i'm a quilt-a-holic :-)

i also baste all my quilts really well, and i don't have any problems with them shifting. i have used a hoop for over 10 years to quilt all my quilts (ever since i snapped one of the sticks on my floor frame.) i usually baste the distance from the tip of my thumb to the tip of my pinky when my fingers are spread out (about 5 - 6 inches both cross-wise and length-wise.)

Becca,

Here are two pictures of my quilt top. Sure is big!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's one beautiful quilt!
    When you sleep under a quilt, you sleep under a blanket of love.

Blog Entries
    you dont say why you are having a problem quilting it??? so knowing if a floor frame would help is hard to tell---some people prefer hoop quilting- others prefer a frame-many large large quilts have been quilted with a hoop-
    are you new to hand quilting? maybe you just haven't quite got the hang of it yet?it takes some time & practice...before spending money on a frame which may not make it easier for you maybe you could try one out somewhere? or borrow one from someone? see if you like that way better??? i spent a couple hundred $$ on a floor frame a number of years ago- set it up & loaded a quilt- many of us worked off & on on that quilt for months- then we found the frame being used much more often as a (hanger/holder) to drape fabrics over- --- a catch all---i finally sold it- found a hoop much easier- it was portable & quilts actually got quilted==
    i do know many people who have the space & always have a large frame set up- sit in front of it & work at it alot- it just was impractical in my world-
    did you baste it well??? basting is an important step to hand quilting.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I sure is big... and beautiful!!!

Absolutely beautiful!! I am in the process of cutting my hexagons for one...It will be my hand project when I finish my cathedral Window

Way too gorgeous!!! I love GFG!!! I've quilted 3 of them....

You need more pins going thru the flowers. You only seem to have pins on the white..Think about adding at least 2 more pins per flower. It's almost like you can't pin too much - it helps keep things from shifting.

Great idea to try various frames if possible. When you start quilting - start in the middle and work your way out in all directions. Can't wait to see!

Blog Entries
    I am getting ready to embark on my very first hand quilting project, a Queen sized Double Wedding Ring. I knew I didn't want the quilt to be laying on my lap all the time as it is pretty large and heavy. I was able to buy a Q-Snap floor frame on Craigslist for $25!!! They are sold at Joanns for $99 http://www.joann.com/q-snap-floor-fr...-x39-/prd2867/
    I would check your local Craigslist as there were a few from me to choose from on my local one.
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

That is similar to the one that i have - mine is wooden and i got it at a quilt show about 20 yrs ago, can't find one online that is similar...but it is the perfect size because it doesn't take up very much space in a room.

Wow! how beautiful!

ckcowl:

Sorry I did not go into more detail. I learned to hand quilt about 6 months ago from a senior member of my quilt guild. I practiced my stitches over and over. My senior friend says my stitching is better than hers.

I purchased a Roxanne thimble and using the rocking motion. My stitches are very consistent.

The problem I am having is this quilt top is so big. I have tried folding it into small sections. I sit on the couch and listen to TV while I hand quilt. The top just seems to get away from me that is why I was thinking a quilt frame would be easier.

Your quilt is beautiful!!!!

I have the Grace Frame that you mentioned. I bought it thinking that it would be easier to use than a hoop on a large quilt I am planning to make. (about the same size as yours) First of all, this frame is BIG! For your quilt you would need about 10' of floor space to set up in, and expect to leave it up the entire time you are quilting. My original plan was to set it up in my living room, but that idea was squashed when I realized the time and space involved. So....I devoted an entire room just for the frame, and began with a crib sized quilt just to see how it went.

The frame assembly is a BEAR! You will need to be pretty good with tools and following directions precisely. I spent about 12 hours on the assembly, and needed my husband's help on the final part, since it was just too large for one person to handle. I assembled it in the King size, then had to disassemble, and reassemble into the crib size when I changed my mind on the quilt I was making. Geesh! There went another several hours!!

There are You-Tube videos explaining the process of putting the layers onto the frame....top...bunting....and backing. Again, follow these instructions precisely! I think this must be where I screwed up, as my top does not perfectly align flat onto the other 2 layers.

I am almost finished hand stitching this little quilt, and it is precious, but I do not think it is the best plan for a quilt this size...the hoop would have probably been easier. However! I do plan to use the frame for the king quilt I am assembling. Like you, I am worried about the fabric shifting, the heavy weight of the quilt on my as I sew (maybe this should be a winter project!!) , and the hoops stretching my fabric. At this point I am undecided. And frustrated to say the least. I had hoped the Grace Frame was going to be the answer, and maybe I need more time and experience on the frame to get used to it, in all fairness.

I know this does not answer your question, but it may give you some insight to what you are up against if you buy a Grace Frame. Below is a photo of the frame assembled for a king size quilt.

Name:  044.jpg
Views: 393
Size:  1.23 MB

Pattylynn

Thanks for the post. You are right, a king size quilt is heavy and cumbersome in your lap. You are right about quilting it in the winter!! My problem is that I need to finish it for our 2013 quilt show so I can enter it. I was thinking about a smaller floor quilt frame. I was looking at the Ulmer floor quilt frame. Some good reviews. It is small but sturdy and can fold for easy storage. It costs around $250. Hate to buy something I might not like. My birthday is this month and I may ask my hubby to buy it for me!

Please keep us posted as to how you proceed. I am interested in learning from your experience.

Beautiful!!!!!!!
    Snownannie

I love this. I have the material to start one but wonder if I will ever have the courage to start it.

This quilt is beautiful. You are doing a great job.

How beautiful! I want to own one, not sure I will have the patience to make one! My hat is off to you!

W0W, this is amazing.

Pattylynn,

My husband ordered me a Ulmer quilt frame yesterday for my birthday this month. I think it is going to be perfect for me. Should get it by Wednesday. Will keep you posted on how I like it.

Bless his heart!

Life is so much fun when our partners support us!! I can't wait to watch your progress.

I have hand quilted several king size quilts on my lap with no hoop. I put a dining room chair in front of me and rest the weight of the quilt on the chair, just pulling a quiltable amount on my lap as I need it.
    prolific hand quilter

I tried a PVC frame and I didn't like it at all. It didn't hold the quilt very well. The best thing other then a regular hand quilting frame was the round hoop type frame, but don't buy the wooden one, buy the other one, it cost more but works a whole lot better then the wooden hoop. I don't use it anymore because I'me been doing my quilts with a longarm machine and frame. It takes so much less time. I can have it done in about 5 days, depending on how steady I work on it. Don't regret buying it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast