Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
GFG Quilt Top Finally Finished!!! >

GFG Quilt Top Finally Finished!!!

GFG Quilt Top Finally Finished!!!

Old 07-08-2012, 08:32 AM

What a great quilt. The very best of luck to you.
Old 07-08-2012, 10:12 AM

I bought one of the PVC ones at JoAnn recently (50% off) and it works much better for me than the hoop I had been using.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:27 PM

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-08-2012, 01:35 PM

Beautiful! the quilting will really make the flowers pop. I used the Hintenburg hoop,18",floor stand. It wanted to topple over so I had to rest some of the quilt on a chair. I though I would want the 24" but then realized 18" was just ling enough for my arm to reach. I also had to sit on edge of couch to reach hoop,I think I would use a lap hoop next time or some people don't even use hoops to hand quilt. Just some things to consider when hoop or frame shopping.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:53 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]347592[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]347593[/ATTACH]
Your GFG is gorgeous! I just love that pattern because each and every one is unique. I've only been quilting about 3 years, but I hand pieced and hand quilted my queen size. I sent it to be Long Arm Quilted, but she refused to do it. She said since it was entirely made by hand it needed to be hand quilted -- something I had never done! She lent me her wooden quilting frame and I got it hand quilted! I've never used a hoop so I can't compare them, but the wooden frame worked out very well for me.
Attached Thumbnails grandmothers-flower-garden-finished.jpg   hand-quilting-grandmothers-flower-garden-sep-2010.jpg  
Old 07-08-2012, 06:00 PM

I love my q-frame. I have quilted 2 or 3 on it. I also learned to not keep your quilt too tight in the frame. It's easier to have it looser.
Old 07-08-2012, 06:14 PM

I love the pattern grandmothers flower garden - I have one- my mother-in-law made it, and that year each one of the kids got a quilt for christmas-the quilts were numbered and, put in a bag- then a number was put in a hat corsonding with the quilt number, the spouse of the child got to draw a number from the hat-that was the quilt you got-so thankful to have gotten the grandmothers flower garden.
Old 07-08-2012, 07:13 PM

I had the same problem with a queen size quilt! I use a lap hoop that is in a stand so I can use both hands to quilt. I love it. However the queen size had so much to move when I turned the quilt. I never quilted it in the summer!

So I bought a Grace2 hand quilting frame. It's great! It keeps the quilt off of your lap and the frame swivels so you don't have to deal with the bulk.

Here's a link to the site. It's expensive. I found mine here on the board for sale. I got it for $150. Perhaps you can find one used through Craigslist or...?

It came with the largest hoop which didn't work for my style of quilting. I bought the 14" one. If you did find one and wanted a large hoop, I would send you mine.

http://graceframe.com/site/hoops/hoop2
Old 07-08-2012, 07:26 PM

I originally planned to get my grandmothers quilt frames from my elderly aunt, but discovered they were not in the rafters of her shed as she thought. So I did some research and purchased Vonda's Quilt Frames. What a joy to use. You can view a video on YouTube or on line. I can set the quilt up all by myself in no time at all. The frames live in a nice box with a carry handle, so can be stored in a closet or under the bed when not in use. I can make anywhere from a baby size to a king size quilt with these frames. I set the frames up to straddle the bed in my guest room, so space is not a problem. I set the backing on the frames, lay out the batting, then put the top on. I do go ahead and place pins around here and there to baste, although this isn't strictly necessary. I love, love, love these frames.