Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gifted with handmade quilting frame (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gifted-handmade-quilting-frame-t221298.html)

Jackietellijohn60 05-12-2013 04:21 AM

Gifted with handmade quilting frame

I have received a lovely oak quilting frame from my friend who had made it for his mother, who no longer can quilt. I'm probably not going to use it for hand quilting, but wondering if anyone has experience "repurposing" this lovely tool. It's all in pieces now; one of its benefits for storage. I'm wondering if it could be used for gluing ot pinning the sandwich? I'm a pretty new quilter...

dunster 05-12-2013 04:57 AM

What a nice gift! I've never used one, but I have heard of them being used for pinning a quilt sandwich. It could also be used if you decide to tie a quilt.

NJ Quilter 05-12-2013 05:04 AM

I'd definitely use it for sandwiching! Wish I had room to even store one just for that purpose. I hand quilt but don't know that I could ever do it on a floor frame. But the sandwiching process - gotta be easier than alot of other processes.

Jan in VA 05-12-2013 11:15 AM

As soon as you decide to get rid of it, you will want it for handquilting -- ask me how I know that! :rolleyes:

I now use a hoop for my personal quilts, but I keep a vintage floor frame like this one for a "community learning quilt" that goes to shows, fund-raising events, art-in-the-park venues, and to teach school kids about the art of quilting during their "Heritage Week." Everyone from 4 to 94 years old has quilted on this one over the 25 years I've done this. Lots of stitches put in, many taken out and the blocks re-quilted by others.:)
Just hang onto it. I don't care for them for basting; a table surface and clamps is better in my opinion.

Jan in VA

Nammie to 7 05-12-2013 12:57 PM

A friend brought me a quilt frame - her friend was going to throw it out. I have it in one of the abandoned houses out here - until I can figure out what I want to do with it. Don't even have a clue as to how to put it together.

mike'sgirl 05-12-2013 03:08 PM

I have a Q-Snap frame that I use to sandwich and baste my quilts. I have a very bad back and can't bend over a table to baste, so this works for me. I agree with Jan's advice, keep it even when you think you might not want it anymore, you never know when you want it again.

Kwiltr 05-12-2013 08:25 PM

I have a floor frame with the roller system, much like a long armer would use, but made of oak and intended for hand quilting. Now that I have carpel tunnel, I'm making the shift to machine quilting. However, my last quilt in the frame was such a bear to hand quilt, I ended up hand basting the quilt while in the frame, taking it out and machine quilting it on my domestic. I'm going to hang onto it for awhile, as it worked so well for getting the sandwich together square and I haven't tried sandwiching a queen size quilt any other way yet, so may just use it for that in the future.

DOTTYMO 05-12-2013 10:32 PM

I have one I purchased from second hand shop for £5 . It is a long rectangular one on a home made frame with lockable wheels. It gets used for all sorts. Displays quilts. Hand quilting. But not thought about using itforsandwiching. When I purchased my father said, what's that for ? Only thought hand quilting but I have even put towels on in a spare room for visitors. Keep it and keep inside your house and display your quilts.

cjaneky 05-14-2013 03:13 AM

I have the quilt frame my grandfather made for my grandmother. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Noiseynana 05-14-2013 03:16 AM

I use mine to hand quilt . I love it. My husband made me one out of PVC pipe. Works like a charm.