Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Go! Fabric Cutter - Questions about Accu Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/go-fabric-cutter-questions-about-accu-quilt-t237485.html)

Snowrose 12-26-2013 08:15 PM

Go! Fabric Cutter - Questions about Accu Quilt

Hi! I am endeavoring to return to quilting and was quite inspired last night hearing about the Accu Quilt from a friend. Do any of you have one? What are your opinions? Do you suggest specific die casts for a beginner or are those a matter of preference?

My current sewing machine is more machine than I want or need and eventually will consider a replacement, so will be curious to know if you have suggestions about a good all purpose-quilting machine without embroidery attachments.

My hopes are to make quilted gifts (quilts, wall hangings, placemats, aprons, totes, etc., for family & friends.) I want projects I can finish, and love to do patchwork. In the past enjoyed applique, bear design, and doll creations. Interested in learning how to do rag quilts, work with wool felting, and learn new techniques.

Thank you very much for your helpfulness. Smiles from a newcomer

Tiggersmom 12-26-2013 09:30 PM

I have the accuquilt go. They have the "baby", the "go", and the industrial strength model.

I have a lot of the dies, some for strips, applique, rag quilts, etc. I like them all. If you get too many layers of fabric it does make the handle harder to crank and cut through so be careful with that.

If you can borrow one or rent one from a LQS I would do that before investing lots of money to make sure it is something you will use. jmho.

quiltingcandy 12-26-2013 10:07 PM

It really depends on what kind of quilts you want to make. I have the "Go" and used it to make over 300 5 inch blocks - it was great. I like to use the June Taylor shape cutter, but often lose track of which slot to use. (Not an issue with the Accuquilt.) I cut all the strips to bind a quilt in one run through with y 2 1/2 inch strip die. I have a lot of dies, just not made a lot of quilts yet. I want to make the tumbler quilt, so got it, also, hexagons and circles for yo-yos. Someday I do hope to make the double wedding ring quilt, so went ahead and bought the dies when they were on sale.

For me - it was well worth the cost.

QuiltnNan 12-27-2013 04:07 AM

I don't have a cutter, but wanted to welcome you to the QB, and happy quilting :)

peaceandjoy 12-27-2013 04:41 AM

I have had the Go! Cutter for a couple of years, and although I don't use it as much as I thought I would, for me it was still a worthwhile purchase.

I have one strip die, but don't use it, as cutting strips with a rotary cutter isn't a problem for me. My favorite die is the small tumbler, then the triangle in a square. That one is nice because there are no dog ears, which makes lining up those of angles really easy. If you're into applique, cutting those shapes (as available through a die) would also be much easier and faster, too.

The reason I don't use mine as much as I could is that I don't have space to leave it out, out, it's in a closet in a different room.

I purchased mine, so gently used that it looked new, through a yahoo group, "sew is for sale. " you can get some good deals on all things sewing related there (as well as well items you no longer want). My dies were all purchased through another yahoo group, "Pins and needles 1." Prices there are always at least 30% off.

Hope that helps!

Misty's Mom 12-27-2013 04:52 AM

I have the GO and love it. I use the strip cutter the most, but I've just finished the hunter star which I posted pics yesterday. It was so easy and like mentioned above, no dog ears. This is the link to my pic http://www.quiltingboard.com/pictures-f5/

Limey 12-27-2013 04:54 AM

My Go cutter quit after 2 years (only 1 year warranty) I chose to replace it with a Sizzix Big Shot Pro (there is a smaller and cheaper one) but haven't yet worked out how to use my Accuquilt dies with it. Advice would be welcomed. So far, the Sizzix seems to require less effort and so would be better for someone with arthritis

luvstoquilt301 12-27-2013 05:12 AM

I LOVE my Go. I can cut out hundreds of flying geese or half square triangles in short time.

BellaBoo 12-27-2013 05:29 AM

My Go is over six years old, one of the first ones made. I use it for 90% of my quilt cutting. I have most of the dies. I use the 2 1/2" strip die a lot. The large rag die, large tumbler, and log cabin dies are some of my favorites. I'd buy another one if it broke.

If you want a machine for quilting I'd buy the Brother 1500 or Juki. Both are excellent for piecing too.

mighty 12-27-2013 06:55 AM

I have the accuquilt go and studio cutters, they are really nice. Welcome to the board.