Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Go! Fabric Cutter - Questions about Accu Quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/go-fabric-cutter-questions-about-accu-quilt-t237485.html)

Misty's Mom 12-30-2013 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by BellaBoo (Post 6476683)
When I first got my Go it was so new not many had an idea what it was. My guild members thought I was nuts paying so much for it. I demoed it at one of our meetings and wish I hadn't. It wasn't long when members started asking me to bring it to guild to cut fabric and then members were asking to borrow it to take home. The mats were being worn out before I got much use from them. No one thought to buy mats when using it. I don't mind sharing what I have but I do not appreciate the thought that 'why buy one when I can use yours' comes into play.

i have a girlfriend that volunteered my GO as well. I just said y'all buy the dies and stuff and I'll be glad to bring it. Haven't heard another word about it.

BellaBoo 12-30-2013 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Misty's Mom (Post 6481525)
i have a girlfriend that volunteered my GO as well. I just said y'all buy the dies and stuff and I'll be glad to bring it. Haven't heard another word about it.

I don't cater to cheapskates. They are depressing to be around. The older members voted down buying a Go for the guild. The next year we had enough new members to vote to buy two Gos and many dies. Members have to provide their own mats though.

gale 12-30-2013 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by qwkslver (Post 6481292)
I use mine a lot but they are expensive to maintain.

What kind of maintenance do they require?

Snowrose 12-31-2013 08:44 PM

Great solution!

BizyStitches 01-01-2014 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by gale (Post 6483009)
What kind of maintenance do they require?

I as wondering the same thing! I've had mine for over three years and haven't had to do anything too it, what am I missing?

Jassinc6 01-19-2014 03:59 PM

Just used my Accuquilt today and I am so pleased! I cut out a quilt for a niece who is expecting; but I also cut out an identical one and bagged it for some other time. I haven't made more than one of a quilt before, but I need to do something to dwindle my stash -- some of my fabrics have been around here for years. I hoping that this system will work out for me. I put all of the fabrics for the "sometime later quilt" in a clear bag, along with a copy of the pattern so it is ready to go whenever I am. Makes a nice looking pre-cut quilt kit. I also used my lint roller in between cuts to quickly clear die of thread left behind after the cut and used a tweezer to get the threads that really got stuck.

craftyheart2 01-19-2014 05:51 PM

I am a scrappy quilter and I love my Go cutter. I have quite a few dies and share my dies with some friends in return for using their dies. I use my strip cutters, esp the 2.5 and 2 inch ones, very regularly. My trade is as a medical typist and I could tell my elbows were going to pack up if I continued to type all day and spend copious time cutting scraps as well.

lbosma 02-11-2014 05:31 PM

Limey, the Sizzix Products are my favorite. I have a GO but find it difficult to crank and use my GO dies on my Big Shot Pro with the Accuquilt Go Adapter. When the Sizzix acrylic pads are removed and the Accuquilt Go Adapter is inserted the height is perfect to accommodate the Go Dies. With the Sizzix acrylic pads removed your Sizzix Big Shot Pro will accommodate Acuuquilt Studio dies, Accucut Dies (all but the widest ones) and Ellison (Sizzix's parent company) dies. Honestly though I use my Sizzix dies on my Sizzix Big Kick/Big Shot the most. Patsy Thompson has done some writing on her blog you might find interesting and Ebony Love has her Big Little book of die cutting that is worth a look.

AnnEliz 08-04-2014 07:08 AM

I use a lot of kits and I would like to use my Go cutter, but I am afraid that I will mess up and not have enough fabric. How do you take this into consideration when cutting? Another problem I have is cutting strips. I have the strip cutters that I use the most, but when cutting a lot of strips, do you cut your fabric into specific sizes to use it? I don't know what to do with the extra fabric that is hanging on when cutting just a few layers, and I am afraid that if I cut it into pieces I will not have enough fabric. Thanks for any ideas and suggestions.