Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   On the go (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/go-t211697.html)

JoanneS 01-24-2013 09:28 AM

If Mom has a sewing room, don't bother with the basics (scissors etc). Just take your project and the thread to match - and maybe your own sewing machine. Leave the kids and DH at home!

sandyquilts 01-24-2013 11:03 AM

Love it!
SandyQuilter (not sandyquilter)

Letty 01-24-2013 11:23 AM

Hi, I have an old wooden box about 10''x 7'' that was made by a long departed friend as a jewelry box. It has several compartments into which I manage to fit the following- Scissors , quilting cotton,pins,thimbles,tape measure,pincushion.needles,beeswax,marking pencils,etc.etc.In fact it is a joke with friends and family that it is as much a part of me as a limb.Then I would include my project and machine cotton-- machine if needed plus 1/4inch foot.Best of all a bottle of wine - or two ! Oh I forgot, rotary cutter ,mat and at least one ruler. Did anyone mention kitchen sink!!!!!!

squires1042 01-24-2013 12:07 PM

I have a tool box that has the tray in the top that I can put tools in and can put fabric and thread etc in the bottom. Works pretty well and doesn't take up a whole lot of room.

dd 01-24-2013 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by AllAboutScraps (Post 5809700)
Ignorance here - what's the fine grit sandpaper for?

We were told to use the sandpaper for tracing pattern pieces. The sandpaper holds the fabric and it doesn't stretch as you trace around your pattern pieces. Guess that mostly for hand piecing and maybe applique.

ube quilting 01-24-2013 03:01 PM

The most important thing I have in my togo bag is money. So I can buy the things I forgot to bring.

charlottemarie 01-24-2013 05:32 PM

I have a quilted tote I carry with me that has embroidery blocks, thread, needle and scissors. I carry it in the car so if I see I have time to embroider I just pick it up and bring it everywhere. Sometimes you do more waiting than anything so it helps me accomplish more things in my day. I don't stop to embroider at home except on the machine so I still have blocks coming out and seem to get more done.

cherrio 01-24-2013 06:39 PM

too funny! sounds like something I would do. lol

Originally Posted by liking quilting (Post 5806675)
My 1st quilt: Labor Day weekend trip to the cabin in N. Minnesota 2011. Packed sewing machine, fabric, thread, ruler, rotary cutter, seam ripper, scissors, pattern, etc. Continually kept running through a mental picture of everything I would need. Part way up to the cabin, I asked dh if he liked what I was wearing. He looked puzzled, and then replied it was "okay." Good, I told him, as he would be seeing me in it all weekend. I packed for my sewing project, but had not packed any clothes or food! Good thing we keep some clothes at the cabin, and go out to eat up there quite a bit!

nstitches4u 01-24-2013 06:46 PM

It doesn't matter how carefully I plan and pack, I always manage to leave out something I need. Fortunately, my quilting friends have my back. One of them always has whatever I forgot.

OCquilter 01-24-2013 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by AllAboutScraps (Post 5809700)
Ignorance here - what's the fine grit sandpaper for?

It is for holding fabric stable when drawing lines for cutting, sewing or tracing template. I don't use it too often but it works well.