Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Good, better, best (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-better-best-t219129.html)

cathyvv 04-15-2013 12:30 PM

The key is to do 'our best', not necessarily strive for perfection. I think any time I learn something, I have done my best.

MargeD 04-15-2013 03:13 PM

I heard that a lot growing up, and from my Home Ec. teacher especially. She always told us to do your best, even if it meant "un-sewing" a zipper that I had literally "sewn in" when putting in a zipper in a skirt I was making. Poor dear, she spent a lot of time ripping out, then spent over an hour teaching me the right way to put in a zipper - the lesson stuck. She had the patience of Job certainly.

Nammie to 7 04-15-2013 04:07 PM

I like that saying!

liese 04-15-2013 04:20 PM

I am certainly not 90, nor close to it, but I do remember that saying being repeated over and over in school throughout my elementary years. LOL

TX GMimi 04-15-2013 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by Quilter 65 (Post 6000820)
Today the subject of perfection was brought up. The 90-year lady in our class said her Home Ec Teacher taught them this saying, "Good, better, best. Never let it rest until your good is better and your better, best." Have any of you ever heard this? As quilters (or trying to be), I thought this was pretty appropriate. If we are fair, we try and get good, if we are good, we try to get better. Then hopefully, we can be the best that we can be. None of the other ladies in the class had ever heard this either. Thought it was good food for thought.

A choir director used that many years ago. It comes to mind frequently! But, my mantra now - thanks to someone on this board - is "better done and perfect"!

Thanks to everyone who encourages us to do our best!

Raine 04-15-2013 05:34 PM

Good, Better, Best! Love it, and try and remember this for any job.

justflyingin 04-15-2013 10:24 PM

"Good, better, best, never let it rest, until your good is better and your better is best."

I heard it in a sermon in the late 70's when I was a teenager.--he said it so many times during the sermon that I learned it. It's an easy one to learn and while I don't remember the scripture text, I do remember the quote. (not necessarily recommending that method of preaching--just commenting on where I first heard this saying.)

I do agree that we do need to strive to do/be our best, but with the knowledge that sometimes "okay" is sometimes good enough. Life happens, emergencies happen, time is short at times and in reality, all dinners we serve are not masterpieces and every quilt we make probably won't be either. Sometimes "done" is good enough.

Jim 04-15-2013 11:28 PM

I've heard that saying all my life and tried to incorporate into my life in everything

twinkie 04-16-2013 02:40 AM

I love it. Thanks

yorkie luv 04-16-2013 03:44 AM

I like that