Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Good finds at the local thrift store! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-finds-local-thrift-store-t122615.html)

mimee4 05-13-2011 06:08 AM

Great find and jcrow - how generous you are.

Anna.425 05-13-2011 07:31 AM

OMG, I had those sheets when I was a kid about a million years ago. A fitting end to a great set.

TonnieLoree 05-13-2011 07:42 AM

The best iron I've ever owned came from a thrift store. I even spent close to $100.00 once :-( for a brand new Rowenta, and hated it. I took that one over to my mom's house to use when I come over to iron for her. She can't stand up for extended periods of time any more. I kept my thrift store prize at home to use to press my sewing.

Blackberry 05-13-2011 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by wannaquilt1
I'm so excited! I can't find my Iron since we moved so I went to see if they had anything at the local thift. I got a "Light and Easy" Iron by GE for .99 cents!!! I'm so excited. Its nice it has steam and everything but it's not really heavy so its perfect for me.

I also got some sheets to use as my backing fabric for the Fun and Done quilt. I've heard it uses alot of fabrc so I thought a top sheet should be enough for a twin size bed. Well I got 3 top sheets for .99 cents in a really pretty floral and another black and white checkered top sheet for .99 :) I'll post a pic in a bit. Oh I also got a knitting project bag for .99 and a new purse with wallet for me for only 2.50!!! yay me!!!

Don't you just love thrift stores. I just can't pass them up. Good purchase. The iron look to be fairly new

vschieve 05-13-2011 07:53 AM

Bought two Rowenta's at thrift stores and both are jewels! Must be older models. I also bought a Sunbeam steam at a thrift as well for $5.00 and it is a great iron too. I take it to my classes. Rowenta's stay home since they are heavy but I love them.

lue 05-13-2011 09:14 AM

Oh, I'm just so envious! My back is out and I can't get to Goodwill this week. Reading this stream makes me want to get up and go there!

I LOVE going to my local store (I call it GW, Inc) because it has 50% off a specific colored tag Thursday-Sunday and Mondays are $1.29 for anything remaining with that color. One day I got a NEW brass lamp (works like a charm) for $1.29. I almost passed by it without seeing it until I remembered that my craft room needed a lamp. It's beautiful. I also need a lighter weight iron since my shoulders are arthritic.

You are so generous to donate that much fabric! I am trying to figure out how much fabric I need when I make the purchase because I like the fabric and not because I have a pattern than I'm working on. Otherwise, I'll be donating a lot of fabric too. Also want to see how I feel about using the same fabrics in more than one quilt.

mrsk 05-13-2011 09:36 AM

I'm soooooo jealous! I always look, but NEVER find any fabric that I could use in a quilt. I'll keep serching though!:) Thanks for sharing, & keeping my hopes up!

Weenween 05-13-2011 04:46 PM

CAN'T BEAT DEALS LIKE THAT i LOVE TO SHOP AT GOOD WILL WE CALL IT GW'S AROUND HERE,ALSO SOMETIMES THE METHEDIST MOUNTAIN MISSION HAS SOME GOOD STUFF ALSO.GREAT FIND I AM HAPPY FOR YOU.

JSNOMORE 05-13-2011 05:33 PM

good for you

Nettie Phillips 05-13-2011 06:04 PM

Boy, you did find some good deals.