Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   A good Joanns story :-) (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-joanns-story-t64415.html)

Pzazz 09-12-2010 02:58 PM

There seems to be so many disappointing stories about Joanns, I thought I would post my experience of todays' excursion.

My GF and I went to Joanns for various items this afternoon, and both came away happy. All my GF wanted was a new blade for her rotary cutter. This store is all newly renovated, and we couldn't find the blades. We found the staff working today very helpful...pointed us right to the aisle we needed.

I was purchasing a large amount of fabric for pillow cases. (Hmmm..wonder what ppl are getting for C'mas this year?!?!!? SSSHHHH...don't tell!!! ;)) Extremely friendly cutter, and apologizing to the ppl behind me for not having another person to help her cut. One of the pieces she was cutting for me was near the end of the bolt. I only wanted 1 1/2 yds.....she tossed the whole works on my pile and says "oh here...just take it". There was almost 3 yds!!!! I find that this is more common than not with this particular Joanns. One of their employees is an elderly gentleman. He is so meticulous in his measuring and always makes sure the cut is straight, not distorting any pattern that might be involved, etc. AND he is very quick about it!!! He always makes every customer feel like they are the most special person in the store.

So...there is my happy story. Now I have LOTS of fabric to wash and get made into pillow cases!!! I think I have about 17 or 18 to do!!

Patti

amma 09-12-2010 03:00 PM

I love reading these happy stories :D:D:D
Thank you for sharing with us!

MadQuilter 09-12-2010 03:03 PM

that's great! ...OK, I bite: What is everyone getting for Christmas? (giggle)

Which method are you using for the pillow cases?

MommaDorian 09-12-2010 03:11 PM

I love making pillowcases, but I don't wash my fabric first. Am I missing a benefit?

quiltmaker 09-12-2010 03:30 PM

Thanks for sharing a very positive experience.

stpatmom 09-12-2010 03:32 PM

my joanns is pretty good too. I've figured out that it's the manager I don't care for. But I hardly ever have a problem that needs resolving by him. The staff is usually able to handle anything I need. (Oh dear, that's not a sign of a good manager is it? I think I may have just paid him a compliment!)

Pzazz 09-12-2010 03:33 PM

Amma....I am known for looking for, and finding, the silver lining in almost any situation. When I find such a pleasant experience as today, I do enjoy sharing with my friends.

Madquilter....I have several pillow case patterns, but have not made any yet, so I can't really answer your question. Do you have suggestions?

MommaDorian....I have been pre-washing fabric for 50+ years, so mostly it is habit. If there is going to be any shrinkage, I want it before I put my time into making something and then be disappointed if it shrinks later. A lot of these fabrics are bright, so I also will toss in a colour catcher with each of the colour groups.

Patti

wolfkitty 09-12-2010 03:48 PM

My sister (long time sewer) told me and I have read to always wash material first to remove any chemicals from production. It will dull the needles if you don't. Also, as Pzazz said, all the shrinkage is done before sewing, so the final product doesn't shrink out of size. The exception is rag quilt material. That should be washed after to get the best 'fuzz'.

melslove 09-12-2010 03:59 PM

Of all the stores that i go to on a regular basis, Hobby Lobby, Michaels and Joanns, Joanns is by far my most favorite, they always seem helpful and polite and seem to like their jobs. They have always been good with the coupons when i go, making sure they scan my address, so i am not taken off the mailing list etc.

sueisallaboutquilts 09-12-2010 05:51 PM

Pzaazz- there is a fab tutorial on making pillowcases at Missouri Star Quilt Company's website. I'm going to make some too!! :D