Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   The good news & the bad news (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-news-bad-news-t306309.html)

osewme 08-13-2019 10:54 AM

The good news & the bad news

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the good news. I just finished making my blocks for my king size quilt top yesterday. I made 35 star blocks & 35 log cabin blocks. The star blocks were done several years ago & I finished up the logs yesterday. Now for the bad news. When I went to measure all my blocks, all of my star blocks are measuring out at about 12 1/4" instead of 12 1/2". My log blocks are all o.k. with unfinished sizes of 12 1/2" (that's what all the blocks should be.). Now I'm really bummed because I will have to square up my star blocks to 12 1/4" & lose most of my points. Plus, because I don't have a 12 1/4" square ruler it's going to take a lot longer when I go to cutting all 70 blocks down to 12 1/4".
I made all those star blocks way before I realized the importance of measuring them after each one I made. Man I must have been out of my mind when I made them! Here's a pic of how they are going to be put together in the quilt. At least I don't have to match log blocks.
What would you do in a case like this?

Stitchnripper 08-13-2019 10:56 AM

Well, I know what I would do - trim the log cabin blocks down just a bit to make them the same size as the star blocks. I think it wouldn't be noticeable at all if you do them all. But, I'm sure you will get some much better advice! I hope you can get it to work out.

osewme 08-13-2019 11:00 AM

That's what I am planning to do but trimming is going to be such a pain without a square ruler that size. I was so hoping to be able to use my 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" ruler for trimming all those blocks.

Stitchnripper 08-13-2019 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 8289027)
That's what I am planning to do but trimming to going to be such a pain without a square ruler that size. I was so hoping to be able to use my 12 1/2" x 12 1/2" ruler for trimming all those blocks.

Yes, it will be harder that way. But it will be worth it!

Tartan 08-13-2019 11:10 AM

Yes, trim the log cabins down and no one will notice.

bearisgray 08-13-2019 11:49 AM

I am confused - if the log cabin blocks are larger than the star blocks, no points will be lost.

The blocks will go together a lot better if they are all the same size -

You could ease in that 1/4 inch - but I would trim, instead.

Remember - take only 1/8 inch off each side of the ones that are 1/4 inch bigger.

osewme 08-13-2019 12:04 PM

Oh my gosh, you are right bear! What was I thinking. I believe I will still save most of my points because I'll be trimming down the log blocks Not the star blocks. My mind is just not working today since I found this problem. I'm not looking forward to trimming all those blocks but I'll do what I have to do. Sometimes quilting is such a challenge for me. :eek:

Quilter 65 08-13-2019 12:18 PM

What a striking quilt. You will be happier if you trim 1/8 off of each side, and nobody will notice unless they have a ruler. If anyone criticizes, suggest they do it themselves!

bearisgray 08-13-2019 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by osewme (Post 8289051)
Oh my gosh, you are right bear! What was I thinking. I believe I will still save most of my points because I'll be trimming down the log blocks Not the star blocks. My mind is just not working today since I found this problem. I'm not looking forward to trimming all those blocks but I'll do what I have to do. Sometimes quilting is such a challenge for me.

Maybe just wait until tomorrow before you start trimming anything????

Think of it as trimming very large HST units to desired size. :rolleyes:

jhoward 08-13-2019 12:34 PM

Go to the hardware store to have a plexy glass square cut for you. Should be really cheap.