Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Good Quilting Book - Need Advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-quilting-book-need-advice-t258166.html)

MadQuilter 12-13-2014 04:15 PM

I learned to quilt from :Quilts! Quilts! Quilts!" by Diana McClun and Laura Nownes, and still like that book. However, "The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide" is awesome.

bearisgray 12-13-2014 04:31 PM

I am also fond of "Quilts! Quilts! Quilts!". I liked their first edition better than the revised version.

Geri B 12-13-2014 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by tracylynn (Post 7006578)
Yes, I will have internet access (and I am very thankful for that). I just won't have access to any fabric stores or mail service. I bought as much material and as many rulers as my husband would let me and they all went in our shipment last week along with my sewing machine.

Thanks a bunch for your suggestions, I'll look these up and get something ordered.

Oh, please tell us why you are moving to Ecuador.... So remotely too......keep in touch with the board here and you will not get bored! Have a safe trip and be happy in your new homesite.....

Terri D. 12-13-2014 05:25 PM

The Art of Classic Quiltmaking by Harriet Hargrave and Sharyn Craig and

Heirloom Machine Quilting by Harriet Hargrave

CorgiNole 12-13-2014 05:27 PM

Harriet Hargrave & Carrie Hargrave - Quilter's Academy series.

Very comprehensive - and the books from which I'm learning to quilt.

Cheers, K

Dolphyngyrl 12-13-2014 06:10 PM

Did you make sure your machine will work in ecuador I hope?

mike'sgirl 12-13-2014 06:50 PM

Yep another vote for Quilts! Quilts! Quilts! It's my go to when I need a really good pattern.

tracylynn 12-13-2014 06:59 PM

Our adventure is a Godly mission. We don't know what will be involved yet, but we have faith that it is where we are supposed to be and are thankful for the opportunity. My husband is retired and I recently retired in June. One of our girls graduated from nursing school yesterday and has accepted a job in Virginia and our youngest is staying at Florida State for her masters and then on to DC for a career.

With the kids gone, and the jobs shed, we sold the house, gave away most of our belongings and found an awesome farmhouse up in the Andes mountains in Cuenca Ecuador. We met some people when we were there in July and have kept in contact while we've been working on the move. It will be a very different way of life for us.

We bought the vintage Singer machine because it doesn't have a computer and my husband should be able to work on it if it gives me any problems. I scoured the thrift stores and discount bins for fabric because my stash will have to last for a couple of years unless I can talk one of our kids or visitors into bringing more down for me (or talk my husband into a trip back up). I have a feeling that quilting will be a big part of my life while adjusting to the new country and the quiet countryside.

maryb119 12-13-2014 07:20 PM

My all time favorite books are 'Quilting With Bits and Pieces" from House of White Birches and the other is titles"Big Book of Scrap Quilts'. Both are full of patterns and how to's. I have made several quilt from each one.

Stitchnripper 12-13-2014 07:54 PM

I like the Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting- it has photographs vs drawings.