Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Good Quilting Book - Need Advice (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-quilting-book-need-advice-t258166.html)

quiltingbuddy 12-13-2014 09:37 PM

I also vote for the Fons & Porter book. It's one of the books I go back to fairly often.

ontheriver 12-14-2014 06:39 AM

I don't have a book to recommend, but you can find so much information and free patterns on the Internet. I hope you also sent plenty of thread, batting, hand and machine sewing needles, rotary blades, etc. good luck in your new adventure!

charsuewilson 12-14-2014 11:51 AM

For the first book, I would recommend a reference book, something like those suggested, or The Ultimate Quilting Book or Encyclopedia of Quilting. If you're into piecing or applique, the second book I would take is 501 Quilt blocks. Even if you have good internet access, there's nothing like looking at a book. But with good internet access, you could just take a good set of bookmarks including quilterscache.com.

tracylynn 12-14-2014 11:52 AM

Thanks so much for all your input. My fingers are doing the shopping to pick up a few of these. I am going to pick up a few more spools of thread to put in my carry on, but everything else is already shipped. I hope I have everything I need to last me a while. Maybe someone will open a fabric store before I run out. :)

HouseDragon 12-14-2014 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by tracylynn (Post 7006871)
Our adventure is a Godly mission. We don't know what will be involved yet, but we have faith that it is where we are supposed to be and are thankful for the opportunity. My husband is retired and I recently retired in June. One of our girls graduated from nursing school yesterday and has accepted a job in Virginia and our youngest is staying at Florida State for her masters and then on to DC for a career.

With the kids gone, and the jobs shed, we sold the house, gave away most of our belongings and found an awesome farmhouse up in the Andes mountains in Cuenca Ecuador. We met some people when we were there in July and have kept in contact while we've been working on the move. It will be a very different way of life for us.

We bought the vintage Singer machine because it doesn't have a computer and my husband should be able to work on it if it gives me any problems. I scoured the thrift stores and discount bins for fabric because my stash will have to last for a couple of years unless I can talk one of our kids or visitors into bringing more down for me (or talk my husband into a trip back up). I have a feeling that quilting will be a big part of my life while adjusting to the new country and the quiet countryside.

I'm curious how you choose that particular village (small town?).

Are you planning on staying there "forever"?

Snoopy minds would like to know. :o

merrylouw 12-14-2014 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by susie-susie-susie (Post 7006504)
My favorite go to book is "Quilters Complete Guide" by Fons and Porter. It seems to have everything you ever wanted to know even after 25 years.
Slue

Me, too! It was the first book I bought, and I've gotten lots of use out of it.

tracylynn 12-14-2014 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon (Post 7007562)
I'm curious how you choose that particular village (small town?).

Are you planning on staying there "forever"?

Snoopy minds would like to know. :o

Cuenca is a good sized city, about 300,000 (and no sewing stores, go figure?). It is in a valley surrounded by hills and our house is at the top of one of the hills. We can see the city from our porch and the city lights at night will be beautiful. My husband is a retired marine and has lived all over the world. He has also done some of God's work in places like India and Scotland after his retirement (before we met).

To make a short story long, moving there is a calling for us. This sounds like a far fetched explanation, and before I met God, you would have gotten an eye roll and a snicker from me if someone had told me that, but we know it is where we are supposed to be. I was an atheist most of my life, and faith is a pretty powerful motivator.

Yes, as far as I know, it is a permanent move for us. Who knows, maybe I'll have an opportunity to make some quilts for the orphanage or for some of the street children.

nancyw 12-15-2014 04:31 AM

I have all three that have been mentioned and find each one valuable for a different reason.

winia 12-15-2014 05:00 AM

Where are you going that you don't have mail service? I buy a lot of fabric off the Internet, and even though I live in what is considered to be a rural area and I have to drive a couple of miles to pick up my mail, I do get mail service. So, I'm wondering where you are going.

paoberle 12-15-2014 05:40 AM

Will you have internet? If so, you do not need books.