Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Good Quilting books (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-quilting-books-t266823.html)

k_jupiter 06-26-2015 01:19 PM

Beyond the Quilt in a Day books (which some are very good), I like the Quiltmakers Gift. Really beautiful examples of pretty basic quilts. Shows a lot of how to vary fabrics to achieve a completely different look from the same blocks. Has Irish chains to Around the World to many many more. There are two of those books with about 40 patterns I believe in them. These took my quiltmaking to a new height.

tim in san jose

Pete 06-26-2015 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy (Post 7237588)
It really depends on the type of quilts you like to make. Do you like to quilt by hand or machine? When I look for books it depends on what I want to do at the time. When I first started (in 1975) I bought the Better Homes & Gardens Encyclopedia of Sewing. It worked for years as it had a little bit of everything and then I branched out as I found quilts I wanted to make. For paper piecing I took a beginners class because the books looked like a foreign language to me. But for English paper piecing (EPP) i just watched the videos on YouTube. I still want to make a cathedral window and bought a book with the patterns and then have watched a few videos - still kind of afraid to start until I finish a few of my UFO's.

What is the difference between EPP and PP? Thought they were the same.

QuiltingNinaSue 06-26-2015 03:26 PM

I have an extensive collection of quilt books and agree with what has been said by others. I started with Eleanor Burns and own most of her books. Missouri Star Quilt Company, with Jenny Doan, videos are very good. You can sign up for their newsletter free and have their latest videos coming at no charge or visit U-tupe to see the older ones.

What has not been mentioned is Quilt Pro Foundation Factory internet site of Carol Doan that offers weekend specials for $9.95 instead of full price of $19.95 to $29.95. Sign up for their newsletter is also free.

Then there is the www.quiltelrscache.com with over 1600 different block patterns free.

I own Maggie Malone's book 5500 Quilt Blocks, excellent for identifying blocks, especially by the blocks known by different names.

Love the quilt magazines, but they tend to pile up and take up so much room.. . I try to limit myself in buying too many magazines now.

No, I have never EPP, just regular PP. Someone on QB will have a good answer, I am sure.

quiltingshorttimer 06-26-2015 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Latrinka (Post 7238111)
Don't forget about the library, they even have quilting magazines available to check out!

Totally agree! check your library to see what type of books you are interested in--I bought way too many for a single pattern and regret it. But I did find from checking out library books, that I really do like design books. And as far as magazines, take it from a "magazinaholic"--buy several from the rack for a couple of months and evaluate which ones you would really make. You might want to purchase one quilting reference book--like F & P or Better Homes & Garden's, etc.

Sisty88 06-28-2015 01:05 AM

EPP is all sewn by hand. You baste fabric around a paper shape (often hexagons, but you can do it with pretty much any shape- I made a miniature storm at sea using EPP) and then sew the shapes together.
PP (sometimes also called foundation paper piecing) is all done on a sewing machine, where the pattern is printed on the paper and you sew along the lines.
Hope that helps :-)

sewbizgirl 06-28-2015 07:23 AM

ANYTHING by Bonnie Hunter, if you like scrap quilting.