Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Good Quilting books (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/good-quilting-books-t266823.html)

DeborahH 06-24-2015 06:53 PM

Good Quilting books

What are some good quilt books to buy and have for good patterns and resources? Thanks for your help with this. I love this site. I have learned so much from this site.

ragamuffin 06-24-2015 07:03 PM

I can pm you. Have a list.

quiltingcandy 06-24-2015 07:03 PM

It really depends on the type of quilts you like to make. Do you like to quilt by hand or machine? When I look for books it depends on what I want to do at the time. When I first started (in 1975) I bought the Better Homes & Gardens Encyclopedia of Sewing. It worked for years as it had a little bit of everything and then I branched out as I found quilts I wanted to make. For paper piecing I took a beginners class because the books looked like a foreign language to me. But for English paper piecing (EPP) i just watched the videos on YouTube. I still want to make a cathedral window and bought a book with the patterns and then have watched a few videos - still kind of afraid to start until I finish a few of my UFO's.

DeborahH 06-24-2015 07:28 PM

I have only made quilts with instructors helping me so I haven't done very much. I love table runners and quilts. I have not tried paper piecing. I am not real sure what I like or don't like yet. So far everything I have done I have liked.

DeborahH 06-24-2015 07:30 PM

That would be great. When Joanna has a sale on their books or somewhere else, I don't know any good authors to look for that would be easy to follow and not to difficult to understand.

Silvia75 06-24-2015 08:22 PM

i have found the most helpful resource for quilting techniques to be The Better Homes and Gardens Complete Guide to Quilting. I bought the hard cover spiral edition in 2002 and have used it as a reference for every quilt I've made. It has a section for every area and technique of quilting. I have found it especially helpful for guidance in sizing and piecing quilt backs (and hanging sleeves) as well as quilt binding. Not much in patterns but handy when I forget how to join the ends of binding when sewing it on the quilt.

slk350 06-24-2015 08:51 PM

I used to buy books for what ever quilt I was making..log cabin, pin wheel, stack & whack...etc. Check yardsales...a few years ago I hit the jackpot..I got over 100 magazine & books, a started BOM, fabric, pressing ham, double wedding ring kit with instructions & all the templates, plus more I can't even remember. All for $20..Mag. subscriptions are sometimes hit or miss, I don't always like what's in them. One of my favorite books is 501 Quilt blocks by Better Homes & Gardens. Great directions for binding your quilt.
'

ManiacQuilter2 06-25-2015 07:34 AM

I bought the F&P Quilter's Complete Guide decades ago. It is a good basic manual.

Latrinka 06-25-2015 08:33 AM

Don't forget about the library, they even have quilting magazines available to check out!

Rose Marie 06-25-2015 08:35 AM

Quilt In A Day. This website is Eleanor Burns and she has the easy way of doing quilting down pat.
Have several of her books and all are great. The site also has videos.