Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   got EQ7 for xmas, and have a question (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/got-eq7-xmas-have-question-t173300.html)

virgwid 12-26-2011 09:52 PM

got EQ7 for xmas, and have a question

I just got it for xmas and I am having a little trouble. It came preloaded with a bunch of patterns, and I thought the d9p was so popular, that it would be included. Its not. I am trying to make several baby quilts quickly, and wanted the pattern to use so that I could photograph the fabrics and upload them into the software so I could see how big I needed the pieces to be in each quilt, and how it would look before I cut anything, so the monkeys, jungle animals, and such get shown as full things, not just parts, if that makes any sense. So, how do I get the thing to make me a d9p pattern? I have been reading the instruction book, which usually is plenty for me, but not this time. help! Thanks! The first two babies are due in two to three weeks and I am really new to this. Was waiting on the software, and now it is not as helpful as I imagined. I'm sure it will be, and I will love to spend time playing around, I just don't have time right now! Thanks so much for your help. Virginia

heather1949 12-26-2011 11:18 PM

Enjoy your new toy,sorry I can't help you.

quilterella 12-27-2011 12:21 AM

Check out the tutorial section...Rhonda has an EQ class every Monday morning. I have been following it every week and she has a knack for explaining things. I know you probably don't even have time for this right now, but, it will save you time in the long run. Maybe someone on here who is alot more experienced than I am with EQ will do up a mock pattern for you. I hope this helps you, if not right now, definitely in future projects.

coldquilter 12-27-2011 05:57 AM

I don't have any of the software available for quilting but would be curious to know how it ends up working. I have often thought of purchasing but don't have anyone to ask about how it works. good luck.

dunster 12-27-2011 05:59 AM

If I were trying to make a d9p with EQ7, I would first make the block that you get when you slice a 9-patch in half in each direction. This is the basic "building block" of the d9p. Color it with the fabrics you want to use and lay this block out in your quilt space. You can turn the block in various directions and see how the fabrics interact with the pattern that way.

nhweaver 12-27-2011 06:11 AM

Where do I find Rhonda's EQ class online? My goal for 2012 is to be more adventurous with EQ7 and need classes.

thanks

Originally Posted by quilterella (Post 4814002)
Check out the tutorial section...Rhonda has an EQ class every Monday morning. I have been following it every week and she has a knack for explaining things. I know you probably don't even have time for this right now, but, it will save you time in the long run. Maybe someone on here who is alot more experienced than I am with EQ will do up a mock pattern for you. I hope this helps you, if not right now, definitely in future projects.

CoyoteQuilts 12-27-2011 06:16 AM

Don't have EQ, but with a D9P you want to have your favorite fabric in the outer corners and a plain or solid in the center. You start with a 9 patch and cut it in 1/2 side to side and top to bottom, then swap the new blocks on opposite corners. The finished block is 1/2 inch smaller (about) than the size you started with. If you start with the unfinished block at 12 1/2 inches your unfinished D9P will be 12 inches.

Does that help you any?

CoyoteQuilts 12-27-2011 06:18 AM

Go to 'Archive' at the bottom of any screen. Choose 'Tutorial' and you can see all of the tutes that have been made here. I find this easier than doing the search....

Originally Posted by nhweaver (Post 4814533)
Where do I find Rhonda's EQ class online? My goal for 2012 is to be more adventurous with EQ7 and need classes.

thanks

QKO 12-27-2011 07:12 AM

EQ7 won't include any copyrighted patterns that aren't in the public domain. But like others have pointed out, you can make up the building blocks of it yourself and achieve the desired end.

virgwid 12-30-2011 12:21 AM

yes, that is what I would like to do. Do you have any idea how to do it?? Thanks!