Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Got a SURPRISE!!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/got-surprise-t182502.html)

Kyiav10 03-11-2012 08:50 PM

Got a SURPRISE!!!

I am so happy! My mom called me tonight and said she had a surprise. I was at work and I thought maybe she was going to tell me she was going to bring me some dinner for me....haha.

She told me that her Uncle's wife has a treadle that was her mother's that I can have!!!!!! I am so happy. My grandmother told my mother that it more thank likely works as the woman wouldn't have kept it! I don't know what it looks like I am just happy to be getting one!

Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for a treadle. Give me some lows for bad condition and highs for good condition as I want to pay her for it. My mom doesn't think she'll take any money but I want to try. If not I will give her the wall hanging I just put binding on.

Don't know when I'll get it but I'll post pics when I do!

Kyia

Silver Needle 03-11-2012 09:13 PM

Congratulations. I had a treadle for my first sewing machine. It was so much fun. I wish I still had one.

Charlee 03-11-2012 09:31 PM

Congrats!! Treadles are such fun to use!

As for pricing, it's all over the board and would depend on the machine that you get, it's condition, etc. I've paid as little as $50 for my Davis that needed work, and as much as $400 for my newest. (Keep in mind that I strongly resist even looking at anything marked over $100, but that last one was calling my name)

I recently read that there is no treadle in a "standard" treadle cabinet that is worth more than $150. (Antique experts) I would think about the same for parlor cabinets, and the drawing room cabinets are worth a little more. If the machine has Mother of Pearl inlay, good decals, you'd expect to pay more, scratched up sphinx or redeye decals less....
It's really hard to price a machine, but keep in mind that "sentimental has no value".

dunster 03-11-2012 09:41 PM

Congratulations. I have never paid more than $50 for a treadle in "average" condition. I think the wall hanging would be a better gift, or maybe something you make on the treadle.

QuiltnNan 03-12-2012 03:19 AM

wow, you are so lucky! i paid waaaay to much for mine back in the early '80s :(

Handcraftsbyjen 03-12-2012 07:02 AM

Congratulations! That's an awesome surprise!

Mariposa 03-12-2012 07:06 AM

Congrats! What fun! Do share projects you have sewn on your "new" machine! :)

mighty 03-12-2012 07:09 AM

Congrats, what a wonderful suprise!!!!

Nancy Ingham 03-12-2012 07:16 AM

Charlee is right when she said "Sentimental has no value"! How wonderful for you to get a machine that is passed down in the family........"priceless"! Enjoy it is good health for many years and have fun!

You will have to show us a picture of 'her' when you receive it!

GrannieAnnie 03-12-2012 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Kyiav10 (Post 5052158)
I am so happy! My mom called me tonight and said she had a surprise. I was at work and I thought maybe she was going to tell me she was going to bring me some dinner for me....haha.

She told me that her Uncle's wife has a treadle that was her mother's that I can have!!!!!! I am so happy. My grandmother told my mother that it more thank likely works as the woman wouldn't have kept it! I don't know what it looks like I am just happy to be getting one!

Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for a treadle. Give me some lows for bad condition and highs for good condition as I want to pay her for it. My mom doesn't think she'll take any money but I want to try. If not I will give her the wall hanging I just put binding on.

Don't know when I'll get it but I'll post pics when I do!

Kyia

I bought two on auction-------one in a very good cabinet and half way good machine for $26, and the other in an ornate but rickety cabinet and old dirty machine for $23.

At the l local consignment malls, there are machines in cabinets for less than $100 all the time.

IMO! The money she might make is minuscule compared to the sentimental value of keeping it in the family.