Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Got a SURPRISE!!!

Got a SURPRISE!!!

I am so happy! My mom called me tonight and said she had a surprise. I was at work and I thought maybe she was going to tell me she was going to bring me some dinner for me....haha.

She told me that her Uncle's wife has a treadle that was her mother's that I can have!!!!!! I am so happy. My grandmother told my mother that it more thank likely works as the woman wouldn't have kept it! I don't know what it looks like I am just happy to be getting one!

Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for a treadle. Give me some lows for bad condition and highs for good condition as I want to pay her for it. My mom doesn't think she'll take any money but I want to try. If not I will give her the wall hanging I just put binding on.

Don't know when I'll get it but I'll post pics when I do!

Kyia
    I love to do binding.

Congratulations. I had a treadle for my first sewing machine. It was so much fun. I wish I still had one.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

Blog Entries
    Congrats!! Treadles are such fun to use!

As for pricing, it's all over the board and would depend on the machine that you get, it's condition, etc. I've paid as little as $50 for my Davis that needed work, and as much as $400 for my newest. (Keep in mind that I strongly resist even looking at anything marked over $100, but that last one was calling my name)

I recently read that there is no treadle in a "standard" treadle cabinet that is worth more than $150. (Antique experts) I would think about the same for parlor cabinets, and the drawing room cabinets are worth a little more. If the machine has Mother of Pearl inlay, good decals, you'd expect to pay more, scratched up sphinx or redeye decals less....
    It's really hard to price a machine, but keep in mind that "sentimental has no value".
    One day, you'll only be a memory for some people. Do your best to be a good one.

http://charleeturner.blogspot.com

Congratulations. I have never paid more than $50 for a treadle in "average" condition. I think the wall hanging would be a better gift, or maybe something you make on the treadle.

Blog Entries
    wow, you are so lucky! i paid waaaay to much for mine back in the early '80s
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Congratulations! That's an awesome surprise!

Congrats! What fun! Do share projects you have sewn on your "new" machine!
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

Congrats, what a wonderful suprise!!!!

Blog Entries
    Charlee is right when she said "Sentimental has no value"! How wonderful for you to get a machine that is passed down in the family........"priceless"! Enjoy it is good health for many years and have fun!

You will have to show us a picture of 'her' when you receive it!
    You can choose to live your live as though nothing is a miracle; or as though everything is a miracle!

Quote Originally Posted by Kyiav10 View Post
    I am so happy! My mom called me tonight and said she had a surprise. I was at work and I thought maybe she was going to tell me she was going to bring me some dinner for me....haha.

She told me that her Uncle's wife has a treadle that was her mother's that I can have!!!!!! I am so happy. My grandmother told my mother that it more thank likely works as the woman wouldn't have kept it! I don't know what it looks like I am just happy to be getting one!

Can anyone tell me what the going rate is for a treadle. Give me some lows for bad condition and highs for good condition as I want to pay her for it. My mom doesn't think she'll take any money but I want to try. If not I will give her the wall hanging I just put binding on.

Don't know when I'll get it but I'll post pics when I do!

Kyia

I bought two on auction-------one in a very good cabinet and half way good machine for $26, and the other in an ornate but rickety cabinet and old dirty machine for $23.

At the l local consignment malls, there are machines in cabinets for less than $100 all the time.

IMO! The money she might make is minuscule compared to the sentimental value of keeping it in the family.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

Blog Entries
    I paid $50 and $75 for my two. Both are in working condition, both came with attachments.
    jlm5419-an Okie back in Oklahoma!
    http://according-to-ginger.blogspot.com/

Lived in San Diego now retired in Eagar, AZ.
    Blog Entries
    she probably offered it to you because she knew a family member would take care of it...when she turns down the cash, ask for a picture of her and her family in front of the machine so you can document the 'family handoff'.... write down as much as you know and as much as she knows about the machine... you will have great grand-children some day who would really want to know.... NOW is the time to ask... also check to see if there are other family members who would know things about it... purchase dates are great, but knowing that 'Aunt Martha's' "first day of school dress" was made on it in 1935 is much more interesting .... print up any notes, leave blank spaces for additions later and keep in one of the drawers.... be sure to add your info...

Blog Entries
    In our area, a Singer treadle in working condition with reasonable decals in a decent-looking cabinet sells for about $150. If cabinet condition is poor and/or the decals are in bad condition, that lowers the value. Not in working condition also lowers the value (machine just needs to be able to sew by hand turning the wheel; not having the leather ring is not a problem as they are inexpensive to order online).

What a blessing to receive this! Congrats to you.

How exciting!

Suzy

How great for you, I hope you get it soon.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Waiting for photos. What a treasure.
    You can get older, but you never have to grow up! Tomorrow's just a future yesterday!-Greg Fergerson

Blog Entries
    Congratulations!!!! I hope its in great shape!!

Blog Entries
    Since the prices vary so much (I paid $135 for my Singer 115 treadle with tiffany decals) I would consider making her a lap quilt or other quilted item as a thank you. Enjoy the machine - they are great fun!
    Linda
    There may be times we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. - Elie Wiesel

Congrats. What a lovely surprise.

Maybe i will have to check out the one in my attic left by a deceased family member

Blog Entries
    I am so excited for you. Lucky you. I would ask what she wanted for it and if She refuses any payment for it. I would say, OK, "I'll make you a little something and use this machine" I bet She will be delighted and be very appreciative about it.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    How wonderful for you !! congratulations !! Please be sure to post a picture of her .. and her new name ! Thanks for sharing
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    A treadle, by its nature, NEEDS to be in a cabinet to work. They don't come in a portable.
    The last two I bought for $10 each.
    Stephanie in Mena

Wow! What a nice surprise!
    Mazda

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast