Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Ikea fabric

Blog Entries

Ikea fabric

Well I was looking for a sewing table at ikea I noticed that they sell thread and fabric. Has anyone ever purchased either. I bought my table on line so I was not at the store to check out quality of fabric. I would love to hear others that have seen or used that fabric.

Blog Entries
    hmmmm, i haven't been in our Ikea for over a year. it would be interesting if they do have it in the stores as our ikea is a stone's throw up the road at the Mall of America.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

They have great fabric there and it'd work for quilts. It tends to be a little heavier than your typical quilting cotton making it also suitable for home-dec/drapes, etc but it isn't so heavy that it wouldn't work for quilts too. They keep the same patterns for quite a long while and I must go look at their website to see what's new as its been over a year since I looked!
    mea

Banned
    great fabric for quilting (if they have it) and inexpensive. Last year I bought some 60" wide quiting weight, off white background with silver gray angles for $2.99 per yd. I also bought the packet of thread - 6 spools for $2.99. Havn't use it but it also looks very good.
    Local IKEA has not had the lighter weight fabric recently but have bought solids there that are just a bit heavier (somewhat like KONA) - also inexpensive and wide.

Thanks for the info, I didn't know. Some of the fabrics are only $5.99/yard! There is a section titled "Fabric & Sewing"http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/departments/living_room/10655/

I'll have to look again. Last time I checked out the fabric it was all too heavy for a quilt. Also, last time I was there, the cutting table was set up and the customer was expected to cut their own fabric. Is that still true?

Does anyone know how Ikea compares, weight wise, to Marimekko cottons? Not price, just weight?
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Thank you, I had no idea they had fabric.

Mine has some , but it is more of a weight of home decorator fabric, and not as soft as a quality quilters cotton.

The Ikea fabric I've purchased is all a heavier weight that I use for home dec projects.

I think it is the same quality that most of their other fabric items are made of. I buy it sometimes. Made a nice tote out of one of the kids prints.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

There seems to be two types the heavier weight prints which are a little too heavy for most patchwork but great for home dec or bags.

they have a range of plains which I would caution against....

The fabrics were when washed much ligher weight than I would have liked... slightly too open weave although they don't look it. I had horrible bearding troubles that didin't happen with other fabrics and the same batting.

i also had a distressing occurence in that one of the fabrics changed colour from blue to pink when wet or damp. I initally though the quilt had somehow got stained with juice, but as I tried to wet it it out, the splashes of water also turned pink.
    My mum had some dark green plain which the colour ran and ran until she finally gave up and threw it out.

I have also used thier 100% cotton threads and they are a bit fluffy for me so probably short staple fibres not long staple which is stronger.

So unfortunately cheap and nasty in my opinon.

best Becks

I have been using Ikea fabrics for a number of years - comparing the weight to the Marimekko cottons? Yes, that is a good comparison! I'd say they are very similar in weight and feel. I not only make quilts with my Ikea purchases, I have completely re-done my full finished basement in one of their beautiful fabrics.....fabric shades, pillows, and long curtains to separate the living space down there from my sewing room. And I only paid $7/yard! I also used the same fabric to re-upholster a small Ikea loveseat! Everyone loves to hang out in our new space now!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
    Does anyone know how Ikea compares, weight wise, to Marimekko cottons? Not price, just weight?

Thanks, Debbie! Marimekko's now at $48 per yard...nice to know Ikea is a comparable weight!!
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

I like the IKEA fabric. the ones I am familiar with are thicker and wider. It is a little thick and heavy for quilting but I am sure i can find a use for it. All of it was pretty much 100 percent cotton.
    Anna Quilts

Great fabric and cheap. Most of it is a little heavier home dec weight, but it would work for quilts.

Blog Entries
    Ikea cotton is great for bags, totes and purses
    Mrs B There is nothing that can't be improved with gold glitter

Thanks for all the great info! I love IKEA but only get to go a couple times a year when I visit my sis near Atlanta. I will make it a point next time to visit the fabric section!

Quote Originally Posted by Handcraftsbyjen View Post
    The Ikea fabric I've purchased is all a heavier weight that I use for home dec projects.
    This is my problem exactly as Ikea is one of the main stores that we have here in Poland that has cottons for sale. But alas, not only do I not care for most of the designs, (but I'd make do), but they are more like ducking or twill or heavy weight and not ideal for quilting.

Blog Entries
    Has anyone used the thread that they sell? if so feedback...

Purchased the thread several years ago. Was not that impressed with it. Seemed wound on the spool loosely.
    To quilt or not to quilt...now what was the question?

I have used ikea thread and hate it. Very limp and hard to thread into needles. I will use up what i have but will not buy more. Love their sewing shears and the new sewing kit though. Like everything else at IKEA you must pick and chose.

I ddon't think my Ikea carries thread but they do carry fabric. Most all of it is very large modern print, great for bags and such. Too heavy I think for pillowcases. I always look....pet and walk away, large modern isn't my forte but do think my daughters would love something made with it...someday I'll buy some.

good descriptions in previous posts. i've used their fabric to make a few bags and have been very satisfied.

Blog Entries
    Our IKea is 3 hours away but used to love their fabric so when go to California will have to check it out.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast