Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I GOT A SURPRISE LAST NIGHT!

Blog Entries
    Last night my daughter called me and said that her across the street neighbor's grandmother passed on. They want to give me oodles of fabric, some already made squares and lots of books.
    I have to pick them up at 4PM today. I CAN HARDLY WAIT!
    Will post pics when I get them all. I may need help deciding what to do with the squares that are already made.

Sorry to hear about the grandmother passing away, glad her stash will be getting a good home tho!

Oh, soory about the ladies passing, but what a nice thing to share her stuff with you!!!!!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the condolences. I actually didn't know the lady at all. The grandchildren are my daughter's neighbors and I never met them either.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrieAnne
    Oh, soory about the ladies passing, but what a nice thing to share her stuff with you!!!!!

Wow! How generous of them! Can't wait to see what you get! Maybe you could use some of those squares to make a quilt for the grandchild donating all of this fabric and stuff to you - something for them to snuggle up in grandma's love AND a token of appreciation and condolence.

What kind people to give you the quilting fabric. I hope when I'm gone my family will give my stash to someone who will appreciate it. Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    I was thinking that exact same thing about the squares.

ALSO, I just talked to my daughter again and they have a Singer Treadle in a cabinet that they were going to put in a yard sale. She is finding out the price for me!

I am shaking in my boots with excitement! She says the back of her car is loaded with stuff!

4PM hurry up and get here!

Quote Originally Posted by deema
    Wow! How generous of them! Can't wait to see what you get! Maybe you could use some of those squares to make a quilt for the grandchild donating all of this fabric and stuff to you - something for them to snuggle up in grandma's love AND a token of appreciation and condolence.

What a windfall. I can't wait to see what you get. I hope the treadle is a good price too.

Sorry for her passing but at least she has decendents with some sense. So many people nowadays throw things like that in the garbage. How exciting for you. I know I'd be so excited I wouldn't be able to concentrate on anything else.

Blog Entries
    I am almost jumping out of my skin while waiting for the time to pass!!!!! I tried to sew a border on a quilt this a.m. but I can't concentrate on what I am doing. Have to calm down before I ruin something.

Blog Entries
    Oooo you must be there about now... I hope that you are coming back with the treadle machine :D:D:D

It was so sweet of them to think of you :D:D:D

Well....???

She must be so busy sorting all her goodies that she isn't even thinking about relieving our suspense! I know I would be...LOL!

Blog Entries
    I have 10 big boxes to go through and 2 large trash bags stuffed with new batting. One is king size.

I am still waiting to hear about the treadle machine. I will pay for that but I am sure it won't be an insurmountable amount since they were thinking of putting it in a yard sale.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but I had to go to my GDs track meet and then to my husband's boy scout meeting to teach some people how to make bows for Christmas wreaths that the boys sell along with trees each year.

I went through one box which had a lot of good old Quiltmaker magazines and a WONDERFUL book by Helen Squire which has dozens and dozens of quilting design patterns full size. The book itself is oversize.

I am so exhausted tonight that the rest of it will have to wait til tomorrow. It is still in the car - 9 boxes yet.

I promise I will get back to you in the morning (east coast time).

Quote Originally Posted by mom-6
    She must be so busy sorting all her goodies that she isn't even thinking about relieving our suspense! I know I would be...LOL!

np3
    Blog Entries
    How exciting! Waiting for the pics!

Wow, that is a crazy amount of stuff! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Blog Entries
    I am so sorry this took so long to get to you. I have been busy running around getting ready to go to NJ (we are in Maine) to sell our house there.

Anyway, here are 3 pics of the stash I netted out of all the boxes and a bunch of books besides which are so great, especially the big quilting design book that Helen Squires published through the American Quilting Society years ago.

Now I am just waiting to hear about the price on the treadle machine. Hope I hear about it before I have to leave for NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by np3
    How exciting! Waiting for the pics!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by deema
    Great idea! :thumbup:

Ooooooh, can hardly wait!

Banned
    oh sorry for thier loss but goodness you have scored.

Yeah, sounds like you'll need to add on to your house to hold all these goodies! teeheehee

I am so happy for you!!!

I think it's fabulous that this lady's possessions are going to someone who will appreciate and use them. That's what I would want to happen to anything precious of mine.

Good luck on the treadle...I am all a dither today...I'm going to see one in my price range tonight....it's in need of restoration but apparently it works...fingers crossed for both of us!

Blog Entries
    I agree with Earthwalker! It is nice to now that you will appreciate and use her things as opposed to them being tossed away. Good for you :)

Blog Entries
    Thank you all so much for your kind comments. I will try to honor this lady in the best way I know how. I already have an idea for a thank you to her granddaughter.