Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Gotta Haves/Wish List (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/gotta-haves-wish-list-t254976.html)

Cathy77 10-09-2014 05:38 AM

A more advanced sewing machine!

I'm not much of a gadget person otherwise, but I'd like to get a better machine than my basic brother so I can learn how to FMQ.

AngeliaNR 10-09-2014 05:51 AM

I asked for EQ7 and a dedicated-to-quilting laptop for my birthday and Christmas (they are about 6 weeks apart).

Doggramma 10-09-2014 05:54 AM

Good light, large cutting mat, good size pressing surface, machine with good throat space, and a wheely chair to wheel to each "station"

Boston1954 10-09-2014 07:03 AM

If I had the room and the expertise, I would love to have a long arm. I know it will never happen, but I do think about it from time to time.

Peckish 10-09-2014 08:08 AM

There is something wrong with all of you. Nobody's listed chocolate!! :D

Okay, seriously....

As an earlier poster noted, packing for a retreat is the perfect way to figure out what your "must-haves" are. A comfy chair. Good lighting. A good rotary cutter, a good mat, quality thread, needles, thimble, scissors, a large design wall....

A lot of these things are personal preference. I bought 17 different thimbles before I found a comfortable one I liked. I used to piece with Connecting Threads Essentials - until I tried Superior's Bottom Line. John James needles are the only ones I use for any kind of hand sewing. I prefer the scent and performance of Niagra non-aerosol starch over the more expensive and harder to get Best Press.

ManiacQuilter2 10-09-2014 08:18 AM

I have nothing on my wish list and I can't think of anything that I really need. I have the basics of what any quilter needs. I just recently bought a used copy of EQ7 and one of those Strip Tube ruler. I am keeping my fingers crossed that my Bernina will be OK when I finally am able to get it service. Difficult task when you don't drive.

Monale 10-09-2014 09:35 AM

EQ7 is definitely on my wish list but just too expensive... Getting a couple of rulers (so far I only have one 6x12 inch ruler) is also on my wish list and much more within reach!

sewmini 10-09-2014 10:05 AM

My wish is to have a long enough life to use up all my stash.

Cari-in-Oly 10-09-2014 10:16 AM

You've been given lots of good advice, I can only add that my go-to rulers are 3x18 and 3-1/2 x 24. I don't like the 6" wide ones. My other favorites are a few sizes of square rulers and the easy-angle and companion angle rulers.

Cari

jcrow 10-09-2014 11:15 AM

A floor air conditioner!!! I have central air, but it gets so hot in my sewing room that I can only sew for a little bit before I have to come out and cool off. I see they make a/c's that stand on the floor, which is exactly what I need.

Someone wrote that they would like an 8"x24" ruler. I bought one and LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It was worth every dime I paid for it. I have a 24"x72" cutting board and have to say that it's wonderful!! My friend, who owned a quilting store was buying one for herself when I was in her shop and she told me that they were on sale (a great sale) and I had to have it.

I have everything everyone is talking about except a long arm and an EQ7. No room for a long arm, but I am intrigued with the EQ7. At Christmas my husband gets a nice bonus, so I might ask for one. Also, I'd like NEW fabric. I haven't bought fabric for a year now. I know there is some awesome fabric out now!!