Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Grandmother's Flower Garden (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/grandmothers-flower-garden-t156736.html)

jlynnbach 09-29-2011 06:46 AM

I am planning on doing a GFG for my granddaugher for christmas. It took me two days to map out the layout. Boy was that a challenge for the eyes. I finally got a layout that I liked and started counting how many hexagons of each color I need. I need a little of 800 2 1/2" hexagons. Any suggestions on how to quickly and accurately cut that many? Please HELP.

ontheriver 09-29-2011 06:48 AM

I have thin templates for them so I don't have to cut accurate, just make sure the square of fabric is large enough to turn the edges around the template for basting. That way I only have to rotary cut squares which goes pretty fast.

tuesy 09-29-2011 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver
I have thin templates for them so I don't have to cut accurate, just make sure the square of fabric is large enough to turn the edges around the template for basting. That way I only have to rotary cut squares which goes pretty fast.

What she said! I wish you luck! I've started one, got bored and moved onto the diamonds... got bored with that too.. I have a very short attention span I think.

Quiltbeagle 09-29-2011 07:13 AM

I also use rotary cut squares and baste them around hexagon templates. I get my templates for free from www.texasfreckles.com and print them onto cardstock.

grammy Dwynn 09-29-2011 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by jlynnbach
I am planning on doing a GFG for my granddaugher for christmas. It took me two days to map out the layout. Boy was that a challenge for the eyes. I finally got a layout that I liked and started counting how many hexagons of each color I need. I need a little of 800 2 1/2" hexagons. Any suggestions on how to quickly and accurately cut that many? Please HELP.

Hello from another Oregonian!
Whew, that's a lot of hexagons!

Kaye Wood has a video about cutting and sewing hexagons. http://kayewoodtv.com/?dlink=true&chn=&vid=# Click on Kaye's Quick Tips and then scroll through the videos to Hexagons Cut and Sew

She is using her Starmaker 6 ruler. Which I have, to bad we are not closer, (I'm south of Eugene) I could loan it to you. But I did go into my sewing room and checked the Starmaker 6 and my 60 degree ruler.... they are the same size. So you should be able to use the same principles to make the hexagons.

Good luck!

mamaquilts 09-29-2011 07:24 AM

I'm currently working on a diamond shape using the hexagons.

I'm using the paper patties that I made up.

I cut the fabric about 1 to 1 1/2 inches larger than my patty. Cut the corners off the fabric so its more of a octagon shape.

luvspaper 09-29-2011 07:29 AM

I think it is www.paperpieces.com that sells them precut. They come in different sizes.

What I did was print out about 10 sheets at a time and then sat and cut them with very small, very sharp scissors while watching TV.

Feathers-N-Fur 09-29-2011 07:43 AM

Accuquilt.
I use the small hex to cut cereal boxes then use a hole punch for the center hole. Then I cut the fabric with the middle sized hex. The whole quilt from one $20 die.

neeng 09-29-2011 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by ontheriver

Me too. I printed off a free template page from the net, and just copy the original printout (using the same copier) on regular copy paper when I need more.

jlynnbach 09-29-2011 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur
Accuquilt.
I use the small hex to cut cereal boxes then use a hole punch for the center hole. Then I cut the fabric with the middle sized hex. The whole quilt from one $20 die.

How many does it cut at a time?