Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Grandmother's Flower Garden

I am planning on doing a GFG for my granddaugher for christmas. It took me two days to map out the layout. Boy was that a challenge for the eyes. I finally got a layout that I liked and started counting how many hexagons of each color I need. I need a little of 800 2 1/2" hexagons. Any suggestions on how to quickly and accurately cut that many? Please HELP.

I have thin templates for them so I don't have to cut accurate, just make sure the square of fabric is large enough to turn the edges around the template for basting. That way I only have to rotary cut squares which goes pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheriver
    I have thin templates for them so I don't have to cut accurate, just make sure the square of fabric is large enough to turn the edges around the template for basting. That way I only have to rotary cut squares which goes pretty fast.
    What she said! I wish you luck! I've started one, got bored and moved onto the diamonds... got bored with that too.. I have a very short attention span I think.

I also use rotary cut squares and baste them around hexagon templates. I get my templates for free from www.texasfreckles.com and print them onto cardstock.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jlynnbach
    I am planning on doing a GFG for my granddaugher for christmas. It took me two days to map out the layout. Boy was that a challenge for the eyes. I finally got a layout that I liked and started counting how many hexagons of each color I need. I need a little of 800 2 1/2" hexagons. Any suggestions on how to quickly and accurately cut that many? Please HELP.
    Hello from another Oregonian!
    Whew, that's a lot of hexagons!

Kaye Wood has a video about cutting and sewing hexagons. http://kayewoodtv.com/?dlink=true&chn=&vid=# Click on Kaye's Quick Tips and then scroll through the videos to Hexagons Cut and Sew

She is using her Starmaker 6 ruler. Which I have, to bad we are not closer, (I'm south of Eugene) I could loan it to you. But I did go into my sewing room and checked the Starmaker 6 and my 60 degree ruler.... they are the same size. So you should be able to use the same principles to make the hexagons.

Good luck!

I'm currently working on a diamond shape using the hexagons.

I'm using the paper patties that I made up.

I cut the fabric about 1 to 1 1/2 inches larger than my patty. Cut the corners off the fabric so its more of a octagon shape.

I think it is www.paperpieces.com that sells them precut. They come in different sizes.

What I did was print out about 10 sheets at a time and then sat and cut them with very small, very sharp scissors while watching TV.

Accuquilt.
    I use the small hex to cut cereal boxes then use a hole punch for the center hole. Then I cut the fabric with the middle sized hex. The whole quilt from one $20 die.

Quote Originally Posted by ontheriver
    Me too. I printed off a free template page from the net, and just copy the original printout (using the same copier) on regular copy paper when I need more.

Quote Originally Posted by Feathers-N-Fur
    Accuquilt.
    I use the small hex to cut cereal boxes then use a hole punch for the center hole. Then I cut the fabric with the middle sized hex. The whole quilt from one $20 die.
    How many does it cut at a time?

Check with your local LQS to see if they have one of the cutting machines. If so, like ours, he will cut the shapes free if you buy the fabric in his store. If you bring in fabric, he charges a very nominal fee to cut them.
    I too was printing out the paper hexs, cutting, etc. I too have an attention span problem and got quickly bored with that.

Quote Originally Posted by wvdek
    Check with your local LQS to see if they have one of the cutting machines. If so, like ours, he will cut the shapes free if you buy the fabric in his store. If you bring in fabric, he charges a very nominal fee to cut them.
    I too was printing out the paper hexs, cutting, etc. I too have an attention span problem and got quickly bored with that.
    I am also worried about getting bored. I like to see results fast and hand sewing is not my strong point.

I am working on a GFG. I have been doing EPP by hand. I am using 1" hexies and it will EVENTUALLY be a queen sized quilt. It takes almost 6,000 hexies! I printed out the hexie template from here:

http://www.kathykwylie.com/1%20Inch%...0Templates.pdf

onto cardstock and then cut them out. I cut my fabric into 2.5" squares with my rotary cutter and basted the fabric onto the cardstock hexie and then whip stitched them together. My first day of basting was around the 22ish of May but I had one more day of hexie cutting and one more day of fabric cutting left. I had already cut most of my fabric, many hexies and done all the planning.

I do also have a 6.5yo boy and a 4yo girl so I sew in moments here and there, not nearly as much as some ladies here do. On "good" weeks, I can get five complete flowers, with pathways and attach them onto the quilt. On "bad" weeks, less to none. After 4.5 flowers down and almost the full width of the queen quilt, some of my hexies are pretty rough so I am ready to print off some more and do a couple of days of hexie cutting. In May I thought I might get finished by Christmas. Now I am still hoping for Christmas but 2012 instead of 2011! LOL

This is the last good shot I expect to get before the snow falls here. After this I will have to do indoor shots which are never as good. I did wonder about the boredom factor as well but I have found it rather addicting and love the portability of it. I always have a small bag with me for stitching a hexie or two while waiting on this or that, watching children's swim lessons, etc.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I believe the hexis for mine are 2 3/4 but I'm not sure. I got all of them cut out and now just have to keep sewing them all together.

But I measured how wide a hexi would be side to side and point to point then cut strips out with those widths for whichever would get me the hexis out of a piece of fabric. then I cut them into rectangles and later cut the points off if that makes any sense at all. But you probably don't have to cut the points off. Good luck!! and we'll want to see pictures as you get them done!

Inklingo Hex Patterns are another route. Buy the pattern in your preferred hex size, print sheets of hexes on freezer-paper backed fabric in your injet printer, then stack sheets 2-3 at a time (or more with practice) and you can make quick work of the cutting with your rotary cutter. The pattern also prints sewing lines and pivot points. Linda's layouts are variously configured (FQs, half yards, etc.) to minimize fabric waste.

This is when I am glad I have the Alto's QuiltCut2. I can easily cut my hex's and all be the same size.

Personally, I'd use those plastic templates that are reusable. I have them somewhere???

ali

I printed mine out on the computer and then had my mother and sister cut them out. I cut the squares and sewed them all by hand. I just dug them out of the closet and should bring them in here to get busy finishing this quilt. Even if it just ends up as a wall hanging..

i made a full size one from hexs cut by hand sewn and quilted by hand it was 7290 hexs

INKLINGO! It's the best. Google and you can purchase the hex program on line any size and print the cutout lines right on your fabric. You can also design it there and figure out how many of each color you need. It's amazing. There is also a tutorial to put them together in a hybrid fashion of half machine piecing and half hand sewing if you want.

This is when you need an Accuquilt. I have to Go Baby and I want that die. Also I like Quilt Paties. They are small plastic templets. You just cute a square, say 2 inches or a little bigger than the templet the baste around it and stitch them together. Good luck with that.

Blog Entries
    MO CHRIDE That is one of the most beautiful GFG quilts I have ever seen. I am working on my second one right now and after seeing yours with the black I need to hurry and finish it so I can start another one with black.....and those vibrant colors!

Mo_Chride. What a striking GFG! I really like it! You are making very good progress! Thank you for the template site. Had not seen that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
    I am working on a GFG. I have been doing EPP by hand. I am using 1" hexies and it will EVENTUALLY be a queen sized quilt. It takes almost 6,000 hexies! I printed out the hexie template from here:

http://www.kathykwylie.com/1%20Inch%...0Templates.pdf

onto cardstock and then cut them out. I cut my fabric into 2.5" squares with my rotary cutter and basted the fabric onto the cardstock hexie and then whip stitched them together. My first day of basting was around the 22ish of May but I had one more day of hexie cutting and one more day of fabric cutting left. I had already cut most of my fabric, many hexies and done all the planning.

I do also have a 6.5yo boy and a 4yo girl so I sew in moments here and there, not nearly as much as some ladies here do. On "good" weeks, I can get five complete flowers, with pathways and attach them onto the quilt. On "bad" weeks, less to none. After 4.5 flowers down and almost the full width of the queen quilt, some of my hexies are pretty rough so I am ready to print off some more and do a couple of days of hexie cutting. In May I thought I might get finished by Christmas. Now I am still hoping for Christmas but 2012 instead of 2011! LOL

This is the last good shot I expect to get before the snow falls here. After this I will have to do indoor shots which are never as good. I did wonder about the boredom factor as well but I have found it rather addicting and love the portability of it. I always have a small bag with me for stitching a hexie or two while waiting on this or that, watching children's swim lessons, etc.

j
    Iused my Go Baby and cut 6 at a time. Not only that the template comes with 3 sizes and I cut all 3 at one time. The large one for a quilt, the next one for a quilt for the future and the little one to mak doll blankets. I Have found this not to be as expensive as I thought and my hand never got tired from cutting and everyone was accurately cut. -- J

There is a wonderful shop in Sycamore, IL called Paper Pieces and they die cut any piece you could possibly need. I am in the process of doing 600 for a Grandmother's Garden quilt. I put the fabric on the paper piece at a rate of about 50 at a time and then sew them. Last night, until just after midnight, I pinned the last ones to the fabric. Today I will trim the fabric to the 1/4 inch seam allowance and then over the weekend I will begin to baste the remainder of the "petals." I find that if I do it in stages I don't get bored doing the same step over and over thereby eliminating the inevitable mistakes that come from repetition.

I didn't think I would like the hand sewing prep, but I find it very relaxing and am very pleased with the pile of pieces that is growing in my sewing basket.

Connecting Threads has the templates, the paper ones on clearance. That's where I got mine. I commend you for starting that project.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast