Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Grandmother's Flower Garden >

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Grandmother's Flower Garden

Old 09-30-2011, 05:05 AM

MO CHRIDE That is one of the most beautiful GFG quilts I have ever seen. I am working on my second one right now and after seeing yours with the black I need to hurry and finish it so I can start another one with black.....and those vibrant colors!
Old 09-30-2011, 05:07 AM

Mo_Chride. What a striking GFG! I really like it! You are making very good progress! Thank you for the template site. Had not seen that one.

Originally Posted by Mo_Chride
I am working on a GFG. I have been doing EPP by hand. I am using 1" hexies and it will EVENTUALLY be a queen sized quilt. It takes almost 6,000 hexies! I printed out the hexie template from here:

http://www.kathykwylie.com/1%20Inch%...0Templates.pdf

onto cardstock and then cut them out. I cut my fabric into 2.5" squares with my rotary cutter and basted the fabric onto the cardstock hexie and then whip stitched them together. My first day of basting was around the 22ish of May but I had one more day of hexie cutting and one more day of fabric cutting left. I had already cut most of my fabric, many hexies and done all the planning.

I do also have a 6.5yo boy and a 4yo girl so I sew in moments here and there, not nearly as much as some ladies here do. On "good" weeks, I can get five complete flowers, with pathways and attach them onto the quilt. On "bad" weeks, less to none. After 4.5 flowers down and almost the full width of the queen quilt, some of my hexies are pretty rough so I am ready to print off some more and do a couple of days of hexie cutting. In May I thought I might get finished by Christmas. Now I am still hoping for Christmas but 2012 instead of 2011! LOL

This is the last good shot I expect to get before the snow falls here. After this I will have to do indoor shots which are never as good. I did wonder about the boredom factor as well but I have found it rather addicting and love the portability of it. I always have a small bag with me for stitching a hexie or two while waiting on this or that, watching children's swim lessons, etc.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:02 AM
j

Iused my Go Baby and cut 6 at a time. Not only that the template comes with 3 sizes and I cut all 3 at one time. The large one for a quilt, the next one for a quilt for the future and the little one to mak doll blankets. I Have found this not to be as expensive as I thought and my hand never got tired from cutting and everyone was accurately cut. -- J
Old 09-30-2011, 06:28 AM

There is a wonderful shop in Sycamore, IL called Paper Pieces and they die cut any piece you could possibly need. I am in the process of doing 600 for a Grandmother's Garden quilt. I put the fabric on the paper piece at a rate of about 50 at a time and then sew them. Last night, until just after midnight, I pinned the last ones to the fabric. Today I will trim the fabric to the 1/4 inch seam allowance and then over the weekend I will begin to baste the remainder of the "petals." I find that if I do it in stages I don't get bored doing the same step over and over thereby eliminating the inevitable mistakes that come from repetition.

I didn't think I would like the hand sewing prep, but I find it very relaxing and am very pleased with the pile of pieces that is growing in my sewing basket.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 AM

Connecting Threads has the templates, the paper ones on clearance. That's where I got mine. I commend you for starting that project.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:36 AM

You can buy the hexagons from:

http://www.paperpieces.com

The paper is heavy and it's worth the cost. Making GMFG is a big job and there is no way I would spend time making a million little hexagons. They provide quick delivery, too, I highly recomend them. (and they have lots of sizes, too)
Old 09-30-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Joan
You can buy the hexagons from:

http://www.paperpieces.com

The paper is heavy and it's worth the cost. Making GMFG is a big job and there is no way I would spend time making a million little hexagons. They provide quick delivery, too, I highly recomend them. (and they have lots of sizes, too)
I also recommend them. I have bought my hexxes from them and have been very satisfied. I have 1 last row to put on mine before the top will be done. It is somewhere between a queen and a king. I have been working on it off and on for about 4 years. Time to get it out and finish it.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:14 AM

Here's the link to the Inklingo site. It is a great innovation to accomplish the same result. Be sure to explore the site throughout:

http://www.inklingo.com/
Old 09-30-2011, 07:15 AM

I use the (bought) MYLAR templates with the hole punched out in the middle... then had some extra template plastic (that I bought at JoAnn's) that is heat-resistant with my iron ... and made my own! much less expen$ive.
HINTS:
* the larger the hexagon, the quicker it will go.
* if you keep these by your TV chair, you can whip out several in an evening;
* likewise keep a qt. zip-lock baggie with them and a needle and some thread in your purse for waiting at doctor's offices, appt's, etc.
* pin, trace, cut, sew....Do these in batches; put aside; start again... it breaks up the monotony!
* I've also put together one "flower" and then appliqued it on to a square background (tho' it could be a very large hexagon) ... that really makes for a larger quilt top, with lots less work.

GOOD LUCK with yours. I'm sure whenever it is finished it will be lovely and you know you did it ALL by hand!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:19 AM

Also, just found this site's hexagonal tute: http://www.syverkstan.net/index-e.htm